It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQm excel importer overwriting existing testcases

Norman Dignard (356694176) | asked Jan 23 '17, 11:01 a.m.

One of my users has an existing testplan called SafetyNetServer Testplan. They imported and linked the Testplan, Testcases and Testscripts via the excel import utility. Every couple of weeks they added to the testplan.

Last week they added a new testplan called TrackSIM consisting of testcases 1-8. Again they used the excel import utility. Something very strange has happened in that it overwrote testcases 1-8 in their SafetyNetServer testplan.

The only thing I can think of, is that the linking within the import utility somehow messes with the existing entries in JAZZ.

has someone noted this behavior?  Note we are at 502 ifix14 on the server side and the user is using the RQM 406 import utility.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Salman Shaikh (23413675) | answered Apr 19 '17, 10:16 p.m.

Overwrite Happens in the case when you are using same name excel file again. The reason for such behavior is that RQM Importer utility converts test cases into xml and those xmls are generated as per XML file name, so if the server is getting same xml files again it will overwrite the old test cases.

Hope so this clarifies the issue.

Norman Dignard selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | answered Jan 23 '17, 7:36 p.m.

Hi, Norman

Are test cases 1-8 already existing in RQM and you link them to the new test plan via cfg file? How did  you do that?
It sounds to me that the cfg file may have specified external or internal id of test cases 1-8 and somehow the cfg file actually re-created(overwrote) those test cases via the importer. you may want to post your cfg file as well as describe the relevant entries in xls file so that something may come up from there.
Thanks

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Jan 24 '17, 9:34 a.m. | edited Jan 25 '17, 1:08 a.m.

Don -  don't know why but I could not post a reply to your comment  so here it is below:

We have 2 identical cfg files( one for each test plan) as defined below that we executed.

testplan.XLSWorksheetID="Testplan"
testplan.XLSStartRow=2
testplan.dc:title=A
testplan.dc:description=B
testplan.priority=C
testplan.category term="Systems".value=D
testplan.category term="Release".value=E
testplan.category term="Test Plan Type".value=F
testplan.testcase=Link(L)
//testplan.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.planBusinessObjectives","RQM-KEY-TP-BUSS-OBJ-TITLE")=RichText(G)
//testplan.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.planTestObjectives","RQM-KEY-TP-TEST-OBJ-TITLE")=RichText(H)
//testplan.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.planTestEnvDetails","RQM-KEY-TP-TEST-ENV-DETAIL-TITLE")=RichText(I)
//testplan.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.process.web.entryCriteria","RQM-KEY-PROC-ENTRY-CRITERIA-TITLE")=RichText(J)
//testplan.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.process.web.exitCriteria","RQM-KEY-PROC-EXIT-CRITERIA-TITLE")=RichText(K)

//*Not sure why the Sections aren't importing. Some 403 Forbidden error.
//*Note: Importing attachments via the ExcelImporter utility is not supported at this time for Test Plans.
//*Note: Importing Test Environments via the ExcelImporter utility is not supported at this time.

testcase.XLSWorksheetID="Testcases"
testcase.XLSStartRow=2
testcase.dc:title=A
testcase.dc:description=B
testcase.weight=C
testcase.priority=D
testcase.category term="Function".value=E
testcase.category term="Test Phase".value=F
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCasePreCondition","RQM-KEY-TC-PRE-COND-TITLE")=RichText(G)
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCasePostCondition","RQM-KEY-TC-POST-COND-TITLE")=H
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCaseExpectedResults","RQM-KEY-TC-EXP-RESULTS-TITLE")=I
testcase.XLSArtifactID=J
testcase.testscript=Link(K)
//testcase.requirement=LinkExisting("urn:com.ibm.rqm:requirement:"&L)
//linking requirement to testcase in this manner does not work. follow the link here:
//https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter#Linking_test_artifacts_with_exis

testcase.XLSDelimeter=\n
testscript.XLSWorksheetID="Testscripts"
testscript.XLSStartRow=2
testscript.dc:title=A
testscript.dc:description=C
testscript.dc:type=C
testscript.category term="Function".value=D
testscript.category term="Test Phase".value=E
testscript.steps.type=F
testscript.steps.description=G
testscript.steps.expectedResult=H
testscript.steps.comment=I
testscript.XLSArtifactID=J

We also have 2 different excel files (one for each TP), each having 3 pages. In essence we have the following,
on the Testplan tab:

Name: Safety Net Test Plan

Link to TC(values): tc1 tc2 .... tc16

In 2nd file

Name: Tracksim Test Plan

Link to TC (values): tc1 ... tc8

On the Testcase tab an entry for each testcase, each with a unique name and link to info eg. :

Name: TC-PROD-TS-1: Validate that TrackSIM supports non-repeating routes in the GUI

Link to TP: tc1

Link to TS: sc1

On the Testscripts tab a unique name for each and link to info:

Name: TS-PROD-TS-1: Validate that TrackSIM supports non-repeating routes in the GUI

Link to TC: sc1

The testcases that get created in the first pass have id number eg. 3714, 3715, etc..

No where can we find any reference to "tc1" etc. in jazz. From what we understand, the second import to a
different testplan should create new records not update exisiting ones.

Don Yang commented Jan 24 '17, 6:39 p.m.

Hi, Norman

From the comments, I understand that you have identical cfg file for both excel files.
I notice that in cfg file, you have " testcase.XLSArtifactID=J"  to specify external id for test case. I Guess that in your two excel files' J column, it has the same values for tc1 to tc8 for both test plan(one plan has tc9 to tc16 as well). If this assumption is correct, it will cause problem to update the existing tc1-tc8 in the 2nd import instead of creating a new test cases as you intend. Please change the value of J column to make it different in the two excel files if you want them to create test case set for each test plan.
I hope this helps.

Norman Dignard commented Jan 25 '17, 7:35 a.m.

Yes you are correct that there is a j column in the excel file with the TC numbers listed.

While I see your point on the tc identifiers, I find it hard to believe that the design allowed for this. In looking at the data from the web I/f I could not find a way to see the TC id's from the excel file associated with a record. In looking at the back end db however I do see External Id references that match.

One would have expected that if its a new import of the TP, TC and scripts the TC id would be restricted  to the TP in question and not update existing stuff that is not relevant.  This issue would be compounded if different users are all doing imports, using the same TC id's.

Thanks for your input.

Norm    

Don Yang commented Jan 25 '17, 5:28 p.m.

You may see external id from REST API, not via GUI.
Unfortunately the tool won't restrict external id to TP level, it is project wise.
In https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter, you would find:

Note, if an artifact exists with the same external ID, it is updated. For example, multiple export operations of the same Excel/configuration files to the same repository.

Therefore, make sure external id is always unique if you don't want to update the existing artifacts with the same id.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.