It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DCC/DW or LQE -- when are they used

Mahari Hill (4861165230) | asked Jan 20 '17, 7:27 a.m.

Hello,

When creating reports, when do you know if you are using DCC/DW or LQE for the report? Is it if you are using SQL (Advanced) you are using LQE, or is it something else?

I ask b/c I was going through the tutorial here:

https://jazz.net/library/article/1562

Custom trend reports using work item history

And there is a section that asks you to edit the table/columns - done, previewed the report, great. Then it asks for you to  look at the Graph to edit -- no response. Instead, my server received two core dumps of 50GB and a LQE log file of 26GB rendering the server unreachable as it ran out of space..

3 answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 20 '17, 9:49 a.m.

Hello Mahari,

LQE is very resource hungry, the symptoms you describe makes me think of not enough resources assigned to LQE.

The recommendation for LQE is to have a dedicated computer with adequate CPU, memory and hard drive capacity. See the following article for more details:

Best Practices for Configuring LQE For Performance and Scalability
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/LifecycleQueryEngineBestPractices

Best Regards
Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 20 '17, 7:46 a.m.

Hello Mahari,

this is where you select which data source your report will use:

Note: in the Advanced section you will see SQL queries for data warehouse reports and SPARQL queries for LQE reports.

Best Regards
Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Mahari Hill commented Jan 20 '17, 9:30 a.m.

Thanks for responding. I guess my question forms from why LQE got out of control. I am not sure I did anything to cause the lqe.log file to jump to 26GB.

permanent link
Ernest Mah (611) | answered Jan 20 '17, 10:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The log4j.properties has a default 10MB size on the log file and a limit on the number of log files to keep.  This controls the size of the lqe.log as well as the number of backups kept (on a rotating basis)

log4j.appender.file.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.file.MaxBackupIndex=5

It is not uncommon for the indexTDB folder to grow to larger sizes as it is indexing data from all of the connected CLM applications if you configured LQE through JTS setup.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.