It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Building on Linux. How to keep it running automatically.

Mahari Hill (4861167230) | asked Sep 11 '13, 3:32 p.m.
Hello,

CLM4.0.2
Linux

I have gone through the help and I have both of my build engines running. How to I put in a command/task so that they start up automatically upon reboot on Linux? Or some other failure?

Is there a way for the "tool" to send email if the build engine is not running?
Is there a widget that shows the build engine status? (up/down)

thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Stephen Long (14311013) | answered Sep 12 '13, 3:23 a.m.
edited Sep 12 '13, 3:44 a.m.
You might find the wiki page JBE as a Linux Service useful.

The wiki page does not include instructions for generating a password file.  Use the following command to do this

cd /opt/IBM/Jazz/RTC-I20110531-1253-301/jazz/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse
./jbe -createPasswordFile password.txt

We have found that this works on RHEL 4/5/6.  Some subtle changes are needed.
Add the --check engine1 to the daemon command, as some versions of RH cannot cope with long daemon ids.
Use pkill -u <user> -f jbe instead of kill.

You will need to alter the usernames and paths to suit your system

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Sep 11 '13, 4:34 p.m.
Our build engines are running on RHEL 6, so I wrote my own upstart job. You could also write an init.d script if your system does not support upstart. Unfortunately Rational has left this as "an exercise for the reader" and does not supply anything (at least as of RTC 3). My recollection of the past requests for this feature is that they do not consider the JBE to be a "server" process & therefore they are not on the hook to provide anything to automatically start the JBE on a system reboot.

You can check the engine status in the Team Artifacts view in the Eclipse GUI; I'm not sure if the engine status is reflected in the web client.

Comments
Liora Milbaum commented Aug 21 '15, 3:33 p.m. | edited Aug 21 '15, 3:34 p.m.

Did you write your own upstart job for jts? 

Could you please share it?

Thanks,
Liora

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.