It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I prevent timeouts when loading queries in DNG?

Sue Nikel (2319) | asked Oct 27 '16, 8:57 p.m.
The client is seeing timeouts inDNG. This time out issue deals with trying to load a view/filter. It takes 2 minutes before they see the timeout warning / error message. They are experiencing time outs intermittently between 2 PM and 4 PM EST and also in the morning. Client has stated they are experiencing timeouts in a way that the TOOL IS UNUSABLE. It has gotten to a point of the inability to use any projects in the JOMIS environment. Note: The JOMIS team does most of their work in large collection (it contains 20k+ requirements) so the client need a solution where it does not time out. When VPNd into the FDC/jazz environment, they received a timeout when attempting to query the JOMIS Requirements Repository for all Non- Functional/Technical Requirements and Functional Requirements. When they attempt to work with smaller collections (e. g. the I2R2 collection, which has about 8000 requirements), they experience less time outs. However the I2R2 and I2R3 SP1 collection times out at the base level, so they cannot test any filters at all. There has been no large import of data to the JOMIS project area recently. If cause of the issue is indeed the long running queries, what is IBM's solution for work with large collections (20k+ requirements)?

One answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Oct 28 '16, 7:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Sue,

Which version of DNG are you using? It's possible that you're running into a known query performance defect, and knowing the version in use could help us to determine this. 

If you are experiencing query timeout issues which are experienced most frequently during a specific timeframe, it is most likely a result of heavy load on the system, whether that's a significant amount of user load or else automated processes which are competing with user load for system resources. It's possible that your environment could need performance tuning, which could be accomplished through IBM Support - however, you may also want to check to see if you have automated processes scheduled during this timeframe which are adding a heavy load on the server (e.g. DCC/ETL jobs, index cleanup tasks, etc.). If you can, with reasonable doubt, determine that any automated processes are competing with user load, you should consider scheduling these tasks during off hours so that the competition is lessened.

Hope this helps,
Mike Jaworski

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.