It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG Copy from Component NOT copying links when requested to

Bob 3 (1481564) | asked Sep 05 '18, 3:56 p.m.
edited Sep 05 '18, 4:05 p.m.

My context is that I am migrating DOORS 9.6 modules that have links between them into a single DNG 6.0.5 component. (I would rather put the modules in their own components, which is where they will ultimately live, but the DNG migration tool doesn't support cross-component relinking after migrations.)

As a consequence, I am following Richard Watson's advice here and migrating to a single DNG component and then manually moving the modules to their own components. 

A few items to note:
  1. I wish to retain the links between the modules once they are each in their own component
  2. The schema is exactly the same in all the DNG components
  3. Both the source DNG component and the destination DNG component are part of the same global configuration such that links are allowed to traverse the two DNG components
The method I am using is Copy from a Component:

On the second page of the resulting wizard, there is an option to include links. I have checked this box, however, it doesn't seem to work.

The links that existed in the original DNG migration "landing zone" ...

Did not come with the copy to a different component. 

Any thoughts?

2 answers

permanent link
Brian Steele (562) | answered Jan 21 '19, 1:32 p.m.

Since you're using components that implies you have configuration management enabled.  Links get a bit more complicated when they are crossing components.  If artifact 169538 is in another component you would only see the links if you had a global configuration that included both components as your current configuration.  If artifact 169538 was also copied into your new component, I'd expect the link to be there even without having a global configuration selected.

permanent link
Bob 3 (1481564) | answered Jan 22 '19, 10:25 a.m.

Brian, thanks for your response.

What I later found (and forgot to update the forum), was that I needed to use Clone From A Component to get the artifacts into a separate component, then delete the cloned artifacts in the original component, then add all the components to a global configuration, and finally the cross-component links become visible. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.