It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Links not preserved in DOORS to DNG Migration with DOORS Migration Tool

Julie DeMeester (13615) | asked Sep 25 '18, 1:12 p.m.

I followed the on-line videos, but I can' t see to get it to work for me.  Specifically, I can't get the links (between the modules) to migrate to DNG.  I have two modules, Stakeholder and System, in DOORS.  There are links between the Stakeholder and System Requirements modules.  I first migrated the Stakeholder modules and I didn't see any of the links show up (thinking that they would show up as a link back to a DOORS requirement).  I then migrated the System Module and assuming the links between the requirements would show up in DNG.  But no Links.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to do something with the Links Module?  Do I need to migrate any modules with links to each other in one migration package? 

One answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (71015) | answered Sep 25 '18, 1:42 p.m.

When we migrated using V 6.0.3 in DNG and V 9.6.16 in DOORS, our links came across correctly (and we had quite a few links). While we tried to combine linked modules in a single package, in some instances we could not, and those links came through too.  We were combining multiple DOORS Projects into a single DNG Project, and as I remember, I migrated the largest package first (which had the majority of the links), then the smaller packages afterwards (many of which had links to modules in the first package).

Prior to upgrading to 6.0.3 (using 6.0.2) and the most current version of DOORS (at that time), we had lots of missing links and the results on multiple trial runs were inconsistent.   The version upgrades made all the difference for us.

Good luck.
Carol

Comments
Julie DeMeester commented Sep 25 '18, 1:56 p.m.

Thanks... We are upgrading to 6.0.4 shortly.  So our migration may have to wait.  Thanks for providing insight into your experience.  I am hoping IBM can verify that I need to wait until 6.0.4 to get the migration done so that we can preserve the links.  We can use ReqIF and that seems to work OK... the one reason to use the Migration capability in DOORS is that it will keep you object id's as attributes in DNG.  But its more important to have the links preserved. 

Carol Watson commented Sep 25 '18, 2:12 p.m.

Our users have continued to use those DOORS ID's to check the History on objects brought over from DOORS, so they have proved to be useful.  If you have a choice, I'd wait for the upgrade (make sure DOORS is current too, it makes a difference).  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.