It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Getting slow response time during first user log on? (Jazz 6.0.2)

Allen Earnest (6212437) | asked Oct 06 '16, 4:40 p.m.
Hello All

We are running Jazz 6.0.2 (CM/RM/QM) on a Windows Server 2012R2 VM.  This is our development installation where we test changes (RPE templates, process templates, configuration changes, etc.) before rolling them out to higher environments.

The application runs great and we get good response time EXCEPT when we first log on.  The first user log on after starting up the Jazz application takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.  Same thing happens if a session times out and the user has to log back in.  Obviously very frustrating that it takes so long.

The server has 8GB memory and 4 processors.  The Jazz 6.0.2 installation is running on the provided Liberty using the provided Apache database.  Installation went pretty smoothly.  At most we would have two users on this particular system, but usually just one.

I've watch the CPU utilization when logging on, and there are no spikes of significance.  CPU rarely gets above 25% after initial startup.  CPU usually hovers around 5-15% normally.  Memory usage is about 50-60%.  So this does not appear to be a CPU/memory resource issue.

I'm no expert, but the Jazz log files do not appear to hint at anything out of the ordinary.

Would appreciate any advice on things to check or things I may have misconfigured, etc...  or other advice?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Oct 06 '16, 11:57 p.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 07 '16, 2:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I agree with Don. If you look at the sizing strategy https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSizingStrategy and the numbers, 8GB of RAM is the minimum system requirement for any of the applications.
If you look at the recommended topologies for 6.x https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RecommendedALMDeploymentTopologies6 you see that we recommend multiple servers.

Since 5.x we had some customers that where running everything on a really big server with 64 or more GB RAM, but experience shows that even then it is better to offload some of the applications to other servers.

Bottom line, I think your server is totally over committed and you are seeing that. It is also a good practice to monitor your system. Some suggestions what and how to can be found here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/DeploymentMonitoring
Allen Earnest selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 07 '16, 3:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Also note that Derby is for experimental and small test instances only. You should have a separate DB Server and an enterprise DB on them.

Allen Earnest commented Oct 12 '16, 2:22 p.m.

Thanks guys... appreciate your feedback!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.