It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Attribute customization default value doesn't work in plan

EclipseTalk . (32736061) | asked Jul 31 '12, 6:54 a.m.
Hello,
I've defined a Default Values element in Attribute Customization in RTC 3.0.1 that set the category (Filed Against) to a default value. It works fine when I create a work item from the WorkItems menu, the default category is set. However, when I create a work item from a plan in a ranked list, the default category value is not taken into account.
Is it a known issue? Is there a workaround?
Thank you.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 24 '16, 3:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
To show a work item in a plan view, it has to have a category that matches the owner of the plan and an iteration which is selected in the plan. So regardless what default values would get set for any of these two attributes, the default value would immediately be overwritten in the first plan save.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Robert Huet commented Oct 24 '16, 11:59 a.m.

Thanks, Ralph, I understand the logic.  Unfortunately, this prevents us from using an attribute script to default a new child task's category to that of it's parent.  This would be a time saver for my customer and would still keep the new work item within the plan view.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 24 '16, 12:36 p.m. | edited Oct 24 '16, 12:38 p.m.

Since you can not access another work item or follow a link with attribute customization, that wouldn't work in any case. You can basically not use the save in the plan to save the child item and attribute customization is pretty much out of the window.

You could use a follow up action/participant. See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/using-the-work-item-server-api-to-create-work-items/ and the child would basically be created in the background and show or don't show up in a plan (dependent on the values for category and iteration). There might be scenarios to make this work. depends. You can just not make miracles work. In a participant, there could be another save after the initial one and you could potentially overwrite the defaults the plan sets.

3 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 31 '12, 7:50 a.m.
Does nothing happen or Is the category overwritten by the category of the plan?

permanent link
EclipseTalk . (32736061) | answered Jul 31 '12, 8:40 a.m.
The category is overwritten by the category of the plan. Can i change the default value for the plan category?

permanent link
Murat Isleyen (191620) | answered Jan 21 '14, 10:09 a.m.
Is there any way to overcome this issue?

The category (filed/against) information is determined by the category association when creating a workitem under the plan view.

If no association is assigned, I think the first line in the category list will be selected.

Comments
Robert Huet commented Oct 21 '16, 3:59 p.m.

This still seems to be an issue in RTC 6.0.2.  The ability to configure attribute default's in RTC is very limited if it does not apply to work items created in a Plan View.

Is there still no way to work around this limitation?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.