It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build duration reporting for multiple streams under a project area.

Cendur Kumaran (132) | asked Jul 29 '16, 2:37 a.m.
 HI,

We are using Rational Jazz Team Server 6.0. We have a project area under which there are multiple streams. I want to create a widget similar to build duration widget to show the duration of three different build jobs (each job is for each stream). Is it possible to customize the build duration wigdet.

Regards,
Cendur.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 29 '16, 3:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
First of all, why not just have the same built in widget (build duration) three times each with one of the build definitions, instead of spending like $10.000 creating a new widget?

Build time has only very limited relationship to streams. The only relationship it has is at best indirect by the repository workspace it builds. And that is of course if you use the Jazz SCM tab of the build definition.

There is no way to customize the widgets. Best you can do is locate it in the SDK if you can, steal the code and create something off it.

How to create widgets: open https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/interesting-links/ CTRL+F and type widget.

Cendur Kumaran selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Cendur Kumaran commented Jul 29 '16, 4:30 a.m.

First of all, why not just have the same built in widget (build duration) three times each with one of the build definitions, instead of spending like $10.000 creating a new widget?  >> This is what I have been doing. I have three bar charts, one each for each build job. I felt that having it in a single bar chart would look better. 

Thanks for the link Ralph. I will try that out! 

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 29 '16, 4:33 a.m.

You want to spend $10000 for the looks? And have to deploy and maintain the widget forever as well?

Cendur Kumaran commented Jul 29 '16, 6:31 a.m.

Dropped that idea the very moment I read your first comment regarding the cost! 

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 29 '16, 6:51 a.m. | edited Jul 29 '16, 6:52 a.m.

Say it takes you a week to learn how to extend RTC and write the widget. Add some testing time and some dashboard crashes. Add time to deploy the upgraded version next time you upgrade RTC, add more testing and user support. $10000 is probably cheap compared the the real cost.

It is always wise to think if the business value is high enough to support the cost.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.