It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Integrate DCC with Rational Insight 1.1.1.7

Jorge Alarcon (411122) | asked Jun 15 '16, 8:35 p.m.
Hi

I am a bit confused when it comes to DCC and RI integration.

I already have a CLM working with DCC and filling up the DW (CLM) , I installed Rational Insight on a separate server, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the same DW than CLM, or if RI should use its own DW database, and if so, how do I integrate DCC with it? should I use the existing one on CLM or should I installed a new one on the same server where RI is installed?

Can you please advice?

Regards

Accepted answer

permanent link
June Boston (1943038) | answered Jun 16 '16, 2:09 p.m.
Here's the breakdown:

DCC should usually run alone in its own WebSphere profile (or Tomcat).  It needs the kind of config that other Jazz apps have, but in 5.x there were issues getting it to play nice in a WAS profile shared by other CLM apps.  It can be in the same WAS profile as the other CLM apps in 6.x, but I've seen some situations where it still caused issues and had to be moved off by itself.  It should certainly not be installed in the same profile as RRDI, because RRDI is fickle and needs its own profile.  Thus, for a minimally distributed system I usually see 3 WebSphere profiles: one with the rest of the CLM apps, one with DCC, and one for RRDI.  These profiles could all be on the same machine, or on any combination of different machines.

Now as for the data warehouse, the instructions can be confusing because RRDI docs use different names, but essentially they should all be referring to one database (or tablespace if you're an Oracle person).  Say your data warehouse is named JAZZ_DW:
- In the JTS/CCM/RM/QM/etc app setup wizard or their server config reporting section, you point to JAZZ_DW.
- When installing DCC you point to JAZZ_DW, and when you configure the data sources you put the info for JAZZ_DW in the 'A Relational Database' entry above the RTC/etc entries.
- When setting up RRDI you give it JAZZ_DW when it asks for a data warehouse, even though it refers to it as 'RIDW'.  That's just their more generic name as in theory RRDI/Insight could be pointing to more than just Jazz apps, but in most CLM-related situations it's just JAZZ_DW.

And for the record, the DCC data collections replace both the ones built into CLM (the legacy 'java etls') and the tool Data Manager that comes with Rational Insight (technically, DM will *replace* all the old ETL jobs with a single job that calls DCC, then run any custom jobs after that, but that's only for Rational Insight and not RRDI).
Jorge Alarcon selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jun 16 '16, 9:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jorge,
DCC runs an ETL against the various CLM apps and fills the data warehouse with data. Rational Insight has two components: an ETL component that uses Cognos data manager to fill the data warehouse with data and report building components: Cognos Report Studio, Framework manager, etc...
The DCC can replace the Data Manager component especially since 6.0.2 DCC would also allow you to customize the ETL which was the main selling point for using the Insight Data Manager ETL tool.

So my advice is to use DCC and not use Insight Data Manager.

Comments
Jorge Alarcon commented Jun 16 '16, 12:07 p.m.

Thanks Rafik, for clarifying this, however my main doubt is on installation and integration procedure, I am trying to use DCC to run the ETL but I've read that we need to install DCC on same server than RI but we already have it on another separate server, do I have to use the same one that we use on CLM or do we need to install a new DCC on same RI server?

Rafik Jaouani commented Jun 16 '16, 1:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Jorge, which version of CLM and DCC are you trying to setup?

Jorge Alarcon commented Jun 16 '16, 3:15 p.m.

I am using version 6.0.2

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.