It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Learning about Lifecycle Projects in Jazz SCM

Tiago Portolon (638) | asked Mar 17 '16, 5:12 p.m.
I created a lifecycle management project with project areas for Design Management (DM), Configuration and Change Management (CCM), Requirement Management (RM) and Quality Management (QM).

I have some observations on the RTC operation that led me to doubt:

1. As I created the Lifecycle Management Project, a standart component, a initial base line, a intial stream (I think it is the main stream of development) and a workspace were created. The workspace has the main stream as its flow target, what allows the user to check-in his changes to the stream. In the other hand, the main stream has no flow target, and I don't see how to set the workspace as a flow target for it, to allow change sets to be downloaded to the workspace via "accept" operation.
How can I configure a flow target for the stream?

2. I created a secondary Stream that has the Main stream as its flow target (this was set automatically). On the DM project area, I switched from the Main to the Secondary stream, to deliver the changes. As I search for the Main stream in the menu, I don't find it. But, when I use the advanced search under the Source Control Menu, the only stream that is visible is the main one. Is it an error of project configuration? How can I fix it?

3. When I accessed the Secondary stream to deliver its change sets to the Main stream, it seems that those changes where lost.
Is this an usage/configuration error, or a bug?

4. As I use Rhapsody to access the SysML model in the server ("Open in Design Manager" command) and edit it, seems that any time the model is saved, a Change Set is automatically created.
Isn't  the correct operation to select the change set where the changes will be delivered, BEFORE saving these changes?
Is this configurable?

5. I read here <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/jazz-source-control-management/> (see How it works - Basic Operation) that a change set is delivered to a component through the stream. Since the project has only one component (that was automatically created during the whole lifecycle project creation), the deliveries occured without advising about which comnponent would be affected.
Here I have two questions:
a. How can I create a component in a lifecycle project?
b. If the project has more than one component, is it possible to select the component that will receive the changes?

The available documentation in Jazz.net is rich, but all of what I saw, till now, is dedicated to Eclipse client usage.
Is there any document focused on Rhapsody client usage?

Can you help me with these questions?

Thanks in advance,
Portolon

Comments
Tiago Portolon commented Mar 18 '16, 8:34 a.m.

I'm gonna check these hints and the references you provided.
Thanks.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 18 '16, 2:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 18 '16, 8:44 a.m.
Lifecycle projects have limited to no impact on RTC SCM. All lifecycle project enable is to automate creation of provides and uses relationships. These allow to setup CLM linking e.g. allow to provide RTC change sets in one project area for linkage with change requests in another.

I have no experience with DM, but I assume DM has its own versioning capability. You can use the modeling clients and check in the model files into RTC SCM.

1. This is all done on RTC or other application levels nothing here is LPA related. This happens as well if you just create a RTC project area.

2. Streams stand alone, forget the flow target from one stream to another as beginner. Think you always have a repository workspace that flows with a stream and you have another stream and can change the flow target of your repo workspace to that stream. If you do that RTC tells you the difference between the repository workspace and the stream and allows you to accept and deliver.

Flowing from one stream to another is exactly the scenario above, except you don't see the repository workspace and you can only deliver and only that if there is no conflict. See https://jazz.net/library/#sort=pubDate&tag=scm for what you should read in addition to the links I already provided.

https://jazz.net/library/article/539
https://jazz.net/library/article/1481

3. I assume you are not sure what to expect and would suggest to  use a repo workspace created from the first stream and to change its flow target to the other stream to understand the REAL differences between those.

4. Can't comment on this one

5. LPA does not know (SCM) components.

There are several things that are called components in CLM.

If you talk about SCM Components this is strictly handled on RTC project area level for SCM. A higher concept in Global Configuration management is also not handled in LPA projects.

Again LPA projects are only used to establish the consumer provider relationships and are actually only a more convenient way and you can just do it manually and don't bother about LPA.

Comments
Tiago Portolon commented Mar 18 '16, 2:11 p.m.

I'm gonna check these hints and the references you provided.
Thanks.

permanent link
Tiago Portolon (638) | answered Mar 23 '16, 10:51 a.m.
edited Mar 23 '16, 11:17 a.m.
I found out that DM and CCM streams are different from each other - I thought they were the same.
My confusion with streams comes from this. I created a stream in DM and I thought it would be available in the CCM area. The use of CMM in integration with DM is intended to create traceability between the changes of the model and work items (task, defect, implementation and so on).
Then I'm exploring just the DM as version manager for now.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 23 '16, 11:05 a.m. | edited Mar 23 '16, 11:05 a.m.

Since now DoorsNext and RQM also know about streams but all these products have slightly different requirements for what a stream contains and is handled, there are various different implementations out there.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 23 '16, 5:36 p.m.

And the Global Configuration service allows you to create "global streams" that can be used to combine DM and CCM (and DNG and RQM) streams into a single logical stream (by adding the appropriate DM, CCM, DNG, and RQM streams as contributions to that global stream).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.