It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CQ Connector: Syncing to multiple Project Areas,one server

Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | asked Jun 24 '09, 11:09 a.m.
I have got my connectors working fairly well from my test CQ database, to my test RTC Project Area, so I am now trying to deploy them to my production CQ database and my production RTC Project Area.

I exported out my 5 synchronization rules from my test project area, modified their names, and reimported them into the Synchronization Rules area for my production project area. I then switched my connector gateway process over to to my production CQ database, and attempted to create a new defect in my production database. The connector gateway process picked up the new record, but the sync is failing. The creation of the new RTC workitem through my main defect sync rule is blocked on the user sync rule. When I look at the sync status for the user sync rule, the status shows as Uninitialized, and the Current State data shows all null values for the 3 ClearQuest user record fields. I tried deleting and recreating my user and defect rules, but it didn't help.

I also remember reading somewhere, though I can't find where it was now, that you can't have multiple user sync rules on the same Jazz server, because user records are common among the Project areas. So I tried deleting my user sync rule in my production project area, and modifying the appropriate Properly Mapping in my production defect rule to reference the user sync rule in my other project area. This didn't help either, I continue to get the Uninitialized error.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

7 answers

permanent link
John Vasta (2.6k15) | answered Jun 24 '09, 12:15 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It sounds like you still have synchronization info associated with the users sync rule in your test project area. Delete all sync rules for user records in all project areas, then import one back into a project area (I would put it in your production project area, so that all your "real" sync rules are visible in the same place). Then make sure any references to your user sync rule from your defect sync rule are correct (i.e. the name matches). Then try synchronizing again (create or modify a CQ record).

permanent link
Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | answered Jun 24 '09, 12:55 p.m.
Thanks John, that worked, though it does seem to indicate a limitation that will be an issue for us. We will definitely have need to provide the ability to synchronize CQ / RTC data in setups like the following:

Group 1:
CQ Database D1 in Schema Repository IMCS to Project Area PA1 on Jazz Server JS1.

Group 2:
CQ Database D1 in Schema Repository IMCS to Project Area PA2 on Jazz Server JS1.

Group 3:
CQ Database D2 in Schema Repository IMCS to Project Area PA3 on Jazz Server JS1.

All users in the three groups are all part of the same master user list in the IMCS schema repository, and any user can be in one or more of the groups, meaning that their data needs to be able to be synced to any of the 3 Project Areas on the server.

Based on what you mentioned, it seems like:

1. Only one of the Project Areas can have a User sync rule
2. Only sync rules in the same Project Area as the User sync rule can reference it and its synchronization data.

This essentially means that we can only have one Project Area per Jazz server that can synchronize ClearQuest data. Is that correct? Is there some way to share one or more of the sync rules between Project Areas, so that the synchronization data generated by the rule is available to all rules, regardless of the Project Area? Or is there perhaps some way to set up a "feeder" project area, such that it has all of the synchronization rules, and as work items are created by those rules, they can somehow (by mapping or some other mechanism) be diverted to the correct project/team area?

Thanks,
Chris

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Jun 24 '09, 2:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Chris,

You are correct that only one project area can have a user sync rule but this user sync rule can be referenced by sync rules in other project areas on the same jazz server. You can think of users as being global, known across project areas, so we only need one user sync rule.

permanent link
Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | answered Jun 24 '09, 2:46 p.m.
Thanks Lorelei, that is what I expected, however that didn't seem to work for me. I had a defect sync rule in my one project area, and for three of the property mappings, I was referencing the user sync rule from the other project area, but whenever I tried to sync a defect to a workitem, it would say blocked, and the blocker was that the user sync rule was failing with an Uninitialized error. Let me retry from scratch. Perhaps there was some lingering problem from starting off with two user sync rules, one in each Project Area, and then not cleaning up properly before trying again.

Thanks,
Chris

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Jun 24 '09, 2:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Looking at the different group setups that you have described, we do support group scenario 1 and 2, that is, a CQ user db can be synced to multiple project areas on the same jazz server as long as the CQ data is mutually exclusive, that is, it is only synced to one project area on the same jazz server. You can also sync a CQ record to different project areas on different jazz servers.

permanent link
Richard Piazza (381) | answered Jun 24 '09, 3:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Just to be clear - we support a scenario with "group1" and "group2". However, the addition of "group3" to the mix is NOT supported.

The gateway can be though of as a connection to ONE cq db. It
does not support multiple cq dbs. We also don't support having more than one gateway for one jazz server.

To do all three groups, I suggest having two jazz server instances.

I think there is an enhancement work item to support your scenario.
Let me find it. If not, you might want to enter one.

Rich
Jazz CQ Connector team

permanent link
John Vasta (2.6k15) | answered Jun 24 '09, 4:01 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The work item for allowing a single Jazz server to connect to multiple CQ databases is

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/40810

Hi,

Just to be clear - we support a scenario with "group1" and "group2". However, the addition of "group3" to the mix is NOT supported.

The gateway can be though of as a connection to ONE cq db. It
does not support multiple cq dbs. We also don't support having more than one gateway for one jazz server.

To do all three groups, I suggest having two jazz server instances.

I think there is an enhancement work item to support your scenario.
Let me find it. If not, you might want to enter one.

Rich
Jazz CQ Connector team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.