It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I revert repository workspace back in time?

Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | asked May 19 '15, 6:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 19 '15, 6:52 a.m.
I have created a repository workspace for a stream.  The stream has years of history before the first baseline was created (initially the code was in a CVS repo, so all of the CVS history exists prior to the baseline).  How can I create/revert a repository workspace so that it is back in time to the initial delivery?

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 19 '15, 7:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I tried discarding changesets from my workspace as described in https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_discarding_change_set.html&scope=null.  The changesets created after the team started using RTC appear in my Incoming changes.  However, the changesets created by converting from the CVS repo's history are not appearing in Incoming changes.  Does the Pending Changes view only display changesets created after the first baseline?

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 19 '15, 7:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Update:  I can suspend the changesets that were created by converting from the CVS repo's history and they are listed in the Pending Changes view under suspended.  Any ideas why RTC would know how to suspend but not discard these changes?

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 19 '15, 7:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Several things to mention here.

1. The pending changes always shows the difference between the repository workspace and the streams current state
  2. If you discard a change set in a workspace, but it is still in the stream you flow to, you see it as incoming
  3. I haven't tried suspending changes that are still incoming - have to try that once

If you want to bring a workspace into a certain state, you can

1. Rebase to a snapshot
  2. Rebase single components to a baseline

If you have data on a stream that you want on top of that workspace state, you can accept it in.

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 19 '15, 7:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Ralph,

The pending changes always shows the difference between the repository workspace and the streams current state.
The Pending Changes view is not showing all changes that are listed in the component's history but that I have discarded from my workspace.  It is only showing discarded changesets that were created after the initial baseline.

If you want to bring a workspace into a certain state, you can

1. Rebase to a snapshot
  2. Rebase single components to a baseline
Unfortunately, I don't have a snapshot or baseline that dates back to the beginning of my history since the initial history was converted from a CVS repo.  The first baseline I can find is from when the project was created in RTC, but I have years of history prior to that.

Ralph Schoon commented May 19 '15, 7:55 a.m. | edited May 19 '15, 7:56 a.m.

The pending changes DOES show the difference of its state and the state of the stream. If you discard from the workspace, the data is not there any more. If it is still in the stream, you get it as incoming.

You could revert the change, get a patch and deliver that to revert the change on the stream.

The initial baseline shows, as far as I know the initial state of the object. There is noting in there before that.

Ralph Schoon commented May 19 '15, 7:57 a.m.

The CVS import is a bit tricky, can you look at the history of a stream that has the imported components on it? Do you see baselines? There is a good article about the import and you have to play with it a bit to get it right and especially to get the baselines imported.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 19 '15, 8:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

For some reason when I discard changests from the CVS import, they don't show up in Incoming.  They just disappear. 

The CVS import was done about 2 years ago, so it's too late for me to go back and redo it.  I need to work with what I've got. 

I might be able to achieve what I need to by using Suspend instead of Discard.

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered May 19 '15, 4:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
1. Select the component in the Pending Changes view and run 'show history' on it. That will show you the history view, listing all of the change sets "in" the component. 

2. Select all of the change sets you want to get rid of in the history view. Run 'Discard' from the context menu.

I suspect you don't see the change sets as incoming because your workspace isn't flowing with a stream. That's bitten other users in the past.

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 22 '15, 7:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I was flowing with a stream.  The changes that were created in RTC showed up in the Discarded view.  The changes that were originally created in CVS and then migrated to RTC did not.  It was strange.

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered May 19 '15, 4:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you only want a single change set from the beginning of time, you can:

1. replace the component with the component's initial baseline. 

2. load the repo workspace into your sandbox. (haha! it's empty, so nothing is going to happen! we're using this to get the workspace into your Pending Changes view)

3. find the change set (either on a work item, or in the history of the stream), then run "accept" from the context menu.

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 22 '15, 7:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

What is strange about my case is that the initial baseline is dated in 2013.  However, the repo has history from years prior to 2013 as it was migrated from CVS. 

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 22 '15, 7:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Suspending the changesets from the history view works.  It's just surprising that discarding the changesets doesn't work.

Geoffrey Clemm commented May 22 '15, 6:22 p.m.

Performing a "suspend" should be identical to performing a "discard", except that in addition to discarding the change set, the change set is also added to the "suspended" list.   If that is not what you are seeing, then it sounds like a bug to me, and should be reported.  If you'd like to screen share sometime next week, so I can take a look, just let me know.

permanent link
Stefano Antoniazzi (1701711) | answered Sep 29 '17, 8:08 a.m.

From 6.0.4 you may use Operation History feature:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.