It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 5.0.2 on Eclipse Luna 32bit

Yael K (471130) | asked May 18 '15, 6:09 p.m.
Hi all,

After installing RTC 5.0.2 plugin on Eclipse LUNA 32 bit - Java 8 option is removed from the Java->compiler list.
I also tried installing the ifix 003, but the problem is the same.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Alex Fitzpatrick (5583816) | answered Jul 09 '15, 4:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Workaround is to force Eclipse to update to current JDT:

Once RTC is installed via p2:
1. Select Help > Install New Software... menu to open Install dialog.
2. Select "The Eclipse Project Updates - http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.4"
3. Expand the "Eclipse Java Development Tools" category
4. Select "Eclipse Java Development Tools"
5. Select "Next >" button
6. Install will detect that JDT is already installed and select an update instead.
7. Select "Next >" button
8. Select the "I accept the terms of the license agreement" radio button
9. Select "Finish" button
10. Installer will download updated plugins and features
11. Once the installer has completed you will be prompted to restart Eclipse, select "Yes"

Java compiler compliance should now be 1.8

Sreerupa Sen selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered May 19 '15, 2:33 a.m.
Do you mean that "1.8" disappears from the "compiler compliance level" list? If so, I can see the same issue with Eclipse 4.4.2 + RTC 5.0.2, and the reason is the JDT component (3.10.2) is replaced with the one bundled in RTC and effectively downgraded to 3.6.2, which does not have Java 8 support. I have not found a way to resolve it yet.
But if what you want is just Java 8 support, you can use Eclipse Kepler 4.3.2 as the JDT component (3.9.2) is not affected by the RTC installation. To get Java 8 support in Eclipse Kepler, you need to install the patch with Java 8 support from the Eclipse Marketplace - there should be ways to do offline update but I did not investigate further.

Comments
Alan Sampson commented Jul 02 '15, 3:18 p.m. | edited Jul 02 '15, 3:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Donald,

Using your suggestion and the instructions at https://waynebeaton.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/add-java-8-support-to-eclipse-kepler/ I was able to install Kepler on a 64-bit Windows system with Java 1.8 support and the RTC client from the 5.0.2 p2 repo download, successfully compile and run a Java8 program and move code to and from a 5.0.2 SCM server repository.

permanent link
Yael K (471130) | answered May 20 '15, 10:36 a.m.
 Hi Donald,

Thanks for the reply.
I tried what you suggested, 
I downloaded Eclipse Kepler SR2 32bit with Java8, and installed RTC 5.0.2 plugin (p2) on it.
The "1.8" option was still available in compilers list after the p2 installation.
However the installation seams faulty, since suddenly "source control" option doesn't appear under project scope.
When I use the same user and computer to login into Eclipse Luna, I can see and use "source control" option.

Do you have any suggestion to why this happens?
I was so close!

Yael

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 22 '15, 3:25 a.m.

Which "source control" are you referring to? I can share my project using Team > Share Project > Jazz Source Control.

Yael K commented May 25 '15, 12:52 a.m.

Hi Donald,

I mean there's not "source control" folder under any project,
in the Team artifact window. link

Thanks,
Yael

Donald Nong commented May 26 '15, 2:09 a.m.

I cannot think of any reasons since it works for me.

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Jul 06 '15, 4:05 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please note that in this post https://jazz.net/forum/questions/171631/eclipse-luna-oracle-java-8-and-rtc-client there has been posted a working approach for Eclipse Luna + RTC 5.0.2 plugins + IBM Java 8.  My theory is that there is an issue with using the update site to install the RTC 5.0.2 p2 repo vs just downloading the zip from Jazz.net site. This is install mechanism that was used by the forum user who posted her successful procedure.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.