It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Hierachical components

Christine Makasy (731123) | asked Apr 21 '15, 2:42 a.m.
I have been told that this functionality needs to be enabled. Could you please give me an instruction how I can work with this feature in M11. (After installing the latest milestone M11 I can't see the subcomponent options in the newest Eclipse).

Many thanks in advance
Christine

Accepted answer

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered Apr 21 '15, 6:31 p.m.
You will need to login to web client as admin. Once there -
- Go to server administration page of ccm application.
- Click on Advanced Properties
- Scroll down and find "Enable Hierarchical Components"
- Set the property "
Enable Hierarchical Components" to true.
- Logout from your Eclipse client and log back in.

Christine Makasy selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Darcy Wiborg-Weber (1012) | answered Apr 28 '15, 1:13 p.m.
I wanted to add a general caveat for anyone considering turning on this feature.

The reason we have it turned off in 6.0 is because all the functionality is not yet available from the Visual Studio client. If you have some team members who use the Eclipse client and others who use the Visual Studio client, and the Eclipse client users start introducing component hierarchy relationships, nothing will break, but there are certain operations that will not be available to the Visual Studio client users, so they may become frustrated.  

If your team uses both clients and considers client feature parity important, this server side switch enables you to leave the feature turned off until full functionality is available in Visual Studio.

We are planning to update the Visual Studio with full functionality in an upcoming release.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.