It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Preparation for data migration

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked Feb 21 '15, 9:02 a.m.
Hi, 
Soon we need to shift from " version Control" to "RTC".
Can you share any reference material or preparation plan. I want to know the things to be considered for this data migration. What to do, what not to do, etc.
Please suggest.

Comments
Pravin Patil commented Feb 21 '15, 9:03 a.m.

The current system is "Version Manager" that needs to be migrated to RTC. 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 21 '15, 5:33 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Is this Serena's PVCS Version Manager?

Pravin Patil commented Feb 22 '15, 1:23 a.m.

Yes Geoffrey. I have no clue from where to start. Please suggest.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 22 '15, 2:38 a.m.

I'm not aware of a direct PVCS->RTC importer.  One approach is to use a two step process ... use a PVCS->SVN importer, and then use the SVN->RTC importer.   Another approach is to write your own importer script, using the RTC scm command line to create the information in RTC.

Pravin Patil commented Feb 22 '15, 2:44 a.m.

Thanks.

can you direct me to the jobaids for pvcs>svn and svn>rtc importers? 

Alternatively, making a copy of the files from version manager on my local drive and then importing them in components, will that work?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 22 '15, 3:05 a.m.

If you google "pvcs subversion", the first hit is:
http://www.polarion.com/products/svn/svn_importer.php
I haven't used it myself, but it probably is a good place to start.
For subversion to RTC, see:
https://jazz.net/library/article/650

But if all you need is the latest version from your main branch, then extracting a copy of the files from PVCS onto your local drive, and then just importing them into RTC (using Eclipse, or the scm command line) is definitely the simplest and fastest approach.

Pravin Patil commented Feb 23 '15, 1:05 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

I was wondering what is the difference between using the importers compared to just importing the files into components. Please share your thoughts...

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 23 '15, 1:19 p.m.

The difference is that a simple file system import will create a new history item for each imported file (with a single initial version), while the other styles of import will import the previous history of a file (in the case of "write your own script", the amount of history imported will be determined by the algorithm of your script).

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 23 '15, 3:40 a.m.
I would pick a baseline of the files in the old system and then share that in Jazz SCM.
I would discourage to import the whole history into the new system. Keep the old one alive for some time and reduce access permissions. If you don't hear anything for half a year, switch the system off and keep a backup.

1. If you need to import more than one baseline, you should start with the first (oldest) baseline. Import the projects and files into Eclipse. Share that with RTC SCM, create your baseline in RTC and deliver to the stream.
  2. Unload the repository workspace you used for sharing
  3. Import the next versions of the files (next baseline) and share them again with the repository workspace. SCM should detect the differences and provide change sets.  Create your baseline in RTC and deliver to the stream.

This way you should be able to import more than one baseline and be able to detect differences to them once you get started developing.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.