It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Risk of Migrating CLM 4.0 Environment to a Version 5.0.1

Darryl Dortch (124) | asked Feb 06 '15, 10:21 a.m.

For other customers I’ve followed a phased approach to upgrade CLM. I upgraded to 4.0.7, upgraded the SQL Server Databases to SQL Server 2012, then Upgrading to CLM 5.0.1 (following all the standard upgrade procedures for this version).

I’m supporting a new customer and they have decided to take a different strategy that I haven’t heard of. Is it possible to migrate from a CLM 4.0 environment into brand new installed 5.0.1 environment (changes: New databases, New URI, and New Database Server)? Is there a potential risk with this strategy? Or is there a way to implement this?

One answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Feb 06 '15, 12:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 06 '15, 12:53 p.m.
The latest version available is V502 ifix 001, so this would probably be the best version to upgrade to.

We had previously upgraded from V405 to V501 and had no problems with the CLM, but did have a problem with DM which required a patch from development that is now part of V502.

We have an enterprise topology running JTS, CCM, RM, QM, DM, JRS, DCC all on their own separate Linux, WAS servers. Now because JRS and DCC are new capabilities in CLM for Reporting and Data Warehouse, we had to provision new servers, as well as change the Data Warehouse ETLs from the older Java ETLs to the newer DCC ETLs (which perform magnitudes faster).

We also took the opportunity to upgrade DB2 and WAS to later versions and change the storage on the DB2 server, and increase the # of CPUs and Memory on the CCM server.

Now we did have a problem that some of the developers were running V3 and V4 versions of the RTC client, and where the V4 clients are still compatible with the V502 environment, those running V3 had to upgrade and we needed to provide them separate instructions.

All in all the process was pretty painless, but we did take the opportunity as part of the upgrade to make changes to the servers, upgrade other software, add new capabilities all of which adds other risk. Now as we preplanned the upgrade, we were able to accomplish everything over a weekend (starting Friday afternoon, finishing Sunday morning).

We used the iterative upgrade guide to help in the planning.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html?lang=en

Comments
Darryl Dortch commented Feb 09 '15, 10:51 a.m.

Thanks Robin! I agree with your comments and have done a similar upgrade with that same strategy.

Unfortunately this questions was related to migrating an existing 4.0 version of CLM into a brand new installed version of CLM 5.0.1. In my experience this will not work due to version compatibility constraints. I was seeking confirmation from the community to confirm or disagree, that before migrating CLM data you will need to ensure that the versions are the same.
<o:p> </o:p>

Robin Bater commented Feb 09 '15, 11:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

So this would not be an upgrade but instead an export from a V4 environment and then import in V501?

We have performed such export/import for some project teams but you loose a lot of information, like history, and other data that is in the repository and not part of the export.

If you need all the information, the safest route would be upgrade the V4 environment to V501, then perform a server rename to the new name, then use something like repo tools to take it over to the new servers.

I don't know if there is a process that is documented but Rational Tech Support might have something.

Darryl Dortch commented Feb 09 '15, 2:11 p.m.

Thanks Robin! I'll use these concepts as a stepping stone towards completing this task along with opening a PMR with the Rational Tech Support Team.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.