It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build question - How many JBEs per machine?

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Dec 30 '14, 11:54 a.m.
RTC 405.
CLM and JBE on the same machine

I have a team that is doing about 5-10 builds a week among 5 RTC projects. They:

1. Start up JBE 405
  2. Run the build
  3. Shutdown JBE 405

They have 5 projects that they do "builds" at different times of the day/week, so they would not collide with one another. My question:

Can I just put up 5 JBEs on a different machine as a service that runs all the time? Is that too many JBEs on one machine? Again, they don't do multiple builds from different projects at the same time.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Dec 30 '14, 4:49 p.m.
If you configure it properly it's possible to run more than one JBE per machine but AFAIK the best practice is to only run one. The JBE will only run one build at a time, so you don't have to worry about collisions if you are only running one engine per machine.

Based on the load you've described I think that one build machine running one JBE is plenty - no need for multiple build machines.
Mahari Hill selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mahari Hill commented Dec 30 '14, 5:03 p.m.

You know what, I did not even think about what I "think" your saying...

It is currently set up as one build engine per project. (5 total) and 3 build definitions per project. If they never build at the same time, then, (ignoring the warnings) I can just have one build engine period, and have each of the definitions call it when requested?

Jeff Care commented Dec 30 '14, 8:31 p.m.

Yes - this is what my team did (i.e. one build engine serviced multiple build definitions from multiple project areas) for a long time until we needed additional capacity. You have to be careful how you layout your source trees to prevent collisions but this is easily accomplished.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.