It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can we remove a value of an enumeration from being shown but still have it in the DB?

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Mar 08 '13, 5:38 a.m.
edited Mar 08 '13, 9:07 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)
I have a set of values in an Enumeration, and they are all used in older work items.  However, some are no longer "used".  We'd like to remove them from being SHOWN in the dropdown of the work item editors, but still have them valid in the work items (and available for queries).

Is this possible?  We are on RTC 4.0.0.1.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Mar 10 '13, 12:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Susan,

as you can see from the work item customization article on jazz.net values in enumeration lists can be either removed or archived. From your description it appears you would want to archive the values from the list so they are not shown in the list but retained in the database.
Notice that the "archive" button is right above the "remove" button for values in the enumeration list wizard in the process configuration wizard as shown in the article. I did not have time to check if this is already in 4.0.0.1 but it should be.

If this is an acceptable answer please mark it as accepted :-)

- Arne

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Mar 11 '13, 12:01 a.m.

Partly acceptable.

So I can archive a value in the enumeration (using my 4.0.0.1 client).  I see that:
a) it is not in the list when new work items are created (good)
b) it is not in the list when an existing work item is modified (good)
c) existing work items still have the value in the field (good)

However:
1) I cannot create a query to actually "show" work items that still contain that value, I can't.  Even if I use "include archived" in the attribute selection, it only shows attributes themselves that were totally archived but not individual enumeration values that were archived.
2) If I previously had a query that searched for this value, then I archived the value, it seems to get REMOVED from my query when I edit the query again.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 10 '13, 12:44 p.m.
how about for non-database enumerations?  Database enums aren't friendly to shared process templates..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.