It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS-RQM: Is reconcile Russian Roulette?

Jörg Werner (3033781) | asked Nov 05 '14, 7:48 a.m.
Hello,

I have a very strange behaviour in our DOORS 9.5 - RQM 4.0.5 environment and indeed you sometimes feel like playing Russian Roulette.

I have set up up a test plan with assigned DOORS collection container and created test cases for all requirements. Everything works fine and reconcile says "everything is in sync". Perfect!

Now I add a new requirement in DOORS to the container/view and expect that the reconcile will show this new requirement. Most times this is working quite well but not always. Yesterday morning reconcile says "everything in sync", and I was really shocked and try to find out what is going on.

My idea was to assign the missing requirement directly to a test case, just to see that RQM offers me the requirement. Big surprise: The browser didn't show me all folders and I could not navigate to the target DOORS module. (screen shot 1)

Okay, It was not really a big surprise because I did observe this a few times ago but most times after some minutes the missing folder was visible again.

In the afternoon I tried it again. Now the missing folder was there, but still a sub-folder was not visible at all (Screen shot 2).

Okay, wait again... Today I tried it, and now the missing sub-folder and also the module was visible. (screen shot 3).

I did not add the requirement, but first tried to reconcile again. And now reconcile was working and the new requirement was offered.

Has anyone similar experiences or even an explanation?

thanks, Joerg

:

2 answers

permanent link
Georg Kellner (840378109) | answered Nov 05 '14, 8:18 a.m.
Hi Jörg,

we made the experience, that there is a strange caching mechanism between RQM and DOORS.
If you are locked into DWA via RQM it is nearly impossible to change the user login (maybe from administrative account to user account).

And we've seen that the DWA view isn't up2date itself. Adding something in DOORS native takes a while, til it is seen in DWA.

Also there is a bug in the interface, which will be fixed with the next release of DWA AFAIK.
If you connect from RQM to DOORS, the requests leads to a huge amount of data, as DWA tries to give back a complete4 set of information, containing all levels of the structure, instead of going from level to level.

A combination of those three points may lead to your experiences

greetings georg..

Comments
Jörg Werner commented Nov 05 '14, 8:37 a.m.

Hi Georg,

yes, there seems to be a delay and you can not predict if an action takes seconds our hours.

Do you use DOORS classic or DNG?

Greetings, jörg

Georg Kellner commented Nov 05 '14, 8:46 a.m.

We are using the real DOORS.
The best way to maximize the pain. :-D

Maeve OReilly commented Nov 05 '14, 9:32 a.m.

Yes, maybe it is a couple of issues but I'd still start with DCNs because it is data changes that are missing/too slow. 

On the cached login issue I can give you a tip that works for me Georg.  
Go to /qm/proxy/logout
You should get a blank page
Then clear your browser's cache (cookies etc)
Then do a hover over a DOORS object or something and you should get a Login dialog where you can enter a different username/password.   

permanent link
Maeve OReilly (3813) | answered Nov 05 '14, 8:28 a.m.
edited Nov 05 '14, 8:34 a.m.
Hi Joerg,

I would guess the issue is on the DWA  (DOORS Web Access) side; most likely the DCN (Data Change Notification) configuration.  I once mis-configured mine and saw something similar.  I had put in extra characters in the dcnChannelName (it was a case of cut-n-paste gone wrong that took me days to 'see').   It was in the context of DOORS-Insight though, not RQM.  

What is the output of: dbadmin -dcnInfo -data port@host  (this will need to be run by the DOORS administrator)
Are you also seeing these delays directly n DWA?
What is the exact DWA version?

Maeve

Comments
Jörg Werner commented Nov 05 '14, 8:45 a.m.

Hi Maeve,

thanks for the answer. I'll ask our administrator team for support. I do not have access to DWA/dbadmin

Did your mis-configuration lead to a permanent problems or did it for all that working some times?

Greetings, jörg

Maeve OReilly commented Nov 05 '14, 9:26 a.m.

I cannot say with certainty as the context was different and I never even thought to check DWA or wonder if something from yesterday was working the next day.  I just kept changing things and running ETLs and not seeing my changes in DB2 and I was convinced the problem was in Insight.  I was wrong of course.  

But it's worth checking your DCNs as they are involved here and they are easy to check/fix (if you have the rights that is).   

Jörg Werner commented Nov 06 '14, 4:34 a.m. | edited Nov 06 '14, 4:59 a.m.

Hi Maeve,

our data
   - DOORS 9.5.2.1 Build Number 95086
   - DWA 9.6.0.1 Build 96075

dbadmin -dcnInfo -data port@host
-I- DBADMIN: Data Change Notifications are currently enabled (Broker URI = 'my-hostname:61616', Channel Name = 'dcn').

We will install the latest available builds and check if the problem still occur.

thanks, jörg

Maeve OReilly commented Nov 06 '14, 7:17 a.m.

I thought I had updated this earlier!  If you still have problems after the upgrade (and that is a fix re. DCNs) log a PMR.  There is too much here that is confidential to you, IBM and a 3rd party. 

Maeve

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.