It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS NG RM application fails to load

Cynthia Bernauer (869) | asked Sep 30 '14, 7:33 a.m.
DOORS NG 5.0.1 RM application fails to load.  An import of a ReqIF file was attempted with the first project created in RM.  The import did not complete after more than hour.  This ReqIF file was imported in RM on a local test install of RM. The RM application was shutdown.    RM application now hangs with the message Project Dashboard loading.  RM hangs for the first project created, where ReqIF failed to import, and several other projects created. Note, the RM projects roles, permissions, etc.. can be set via the Manage Project Lifecycles.

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 30 '14, 7:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Cynthia

Are you seeing any problems on the logs for RDNG?  Sounds like you may need to at least restart RDNG.

Also - can you let us know more about your environment (eg: Windows server, Tomcat 7, Derby database).  How much memory on your server is useful info too.

anthony

Comments
Cynthia Bernauer commented Sep 30 '14, 7:52 a.m.

Hi Anthony

I have restarted RDNG as well as the computer itself.  Neither restart resolved the problem.  Using Tomcat 7 with the Derby database.  There is 4G RAM. 

Anthony Kesterton commented Sep 30 '14, 8:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

OK - so memory might be your problem.  By default, the settings on the startup.server.bat file grabs 4 Gig of RAM.  If you have not already done so - try editing this file and change the settings

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx4G
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms4G

So that they read

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx2G
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms2G

and see how that goes.  You will need to restart your server.

Anthony

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Sep 30 '14, 9:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Cynthia,

The behaviour that you describe is very likely to be a long transaction (the ReqIF import) consuming all the JTS' attention and preventing dashboards from loading.
As Anthony correctly diagnosed, this is due to RAM, but I am equally fearful that JTS and RDNG will struggle with only 2GB RAM as a heap.  Although it will be slow, ensure you have swap and increase the JAVA_OPTS to 3GB and let the operating system struggle.

Invariably, your system is a little undespec'd (see: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSizingStrategy) but as long as there are no horrible messages in the jts.log or rm.log then you can just wait for the ReqIF import to complete and that should return the system to normal (dashboards will fully load again).

If you look at your Active Services in jts/admin or rm/admin Debug - Statistics - you should be able to see your import progressing.  It is important not to kick off a second import, thinking it has hung or you'll just end up waiting on 2 long transactions!

I hope that this information helped.
Paul

Comments
Cynthia Bernauer commented Sep 30 '14, 11:13 a.m.

I have confirmed I have 4G memory available on the computer.  The server start up is configured for 4G.  Status Summary shows 4G with 80% memory available.  I re-booted the computer after the ReqIF hung.  Would the import still start-up even after a computer re-boot?

I am not seeing any import progress in the Active Services. I do nto know exactly what I would see but there are no updates happening to the Active ServiceInfo. Below are the last few lines of this file:

org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:607)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:314)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:761)

Cynthia Bernauer commented Sep 30 '14, 11:32 a.m.

Note - when RM is brought up directly without going thru the admin I get a HTTP Status 404 error.  The requested resource is not available.  Apache Tomcat/7.0.54

Anthony Kesterton commented Sep 30 '14, 6:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Cynthia

You do need to change the settings as Paul and I have suggested. If you have 4 gig of memory on your machine, at the moment you are telling Tomcat to grab ALL of the machine memory for the virtual machine - so the operating system and any other application will potentially have no memory.  You will run into problems that are masking any real issues importing your ReqIF file.

Change the settings and let us know how you get on.

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.