It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

copy Work item while preserving the Links

Zica Valsan (10124745) | asked Aug 11 '14, 7:52 a.m.
Hello,

we have customers using CCM 4.0.4.

They use User Story A which have summaries longer than 250 characters. These WIs are linked to another User stories  B, C) which in turn have summaries longer than 250 characters.

Initially, the customers needed to create a template out of this User Story A and we noticed this scenario lead to an error. The Jazz Development Team is currently involved and  look into the issue (11th of Aug 2014).
An workaround will be to shorten the summary which is an unacceptable solution for the customer.

Is there any other way of creating Copy of the WorkItems which preserves in the Link tab the original Links as they were initially created (Children B, Children C)  and not only creating only a Link Type: Copy of the Parent A?

Thank you,
Zica

3 answers

permanent link
Robert Wen (690412) | answered Aug 11 '14, 10:22 a.m.
 Other than creating a template, I can't think of any other way.

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Aug 11 '14, 10:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello,
you may try and use CSV Export and Import

- export: to create the "templates"
- import: to create a new set of work items from the template

See https://jazz.net/library/article/69
for more details about CSV Export / Import

Hope it helps,
Eric

Comments
Frank Schophuizen commented Aug 12 '14, 8:06 a.m.

A link has 2 values: a name and the reference.

When importing a link with a CSV file, you can import only one value. So to import a link, you need to import the reference. After importing, the display name and the reference of the imported link are identical (i.e. you lose the original name of the link)

Eric Jodet commented Aug 19 '14, 1:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ah right Franck.

Where in the work item template, links are parameterized, so that they link newly created resources,
in the CSV file, id's are hard coded - so we'll link original resources and not newly create ones.

Not good

permanent link
Zica Valsan (10124745) | answered Aug 18 '14, 7:57 a.m.
Thank you both for the information.

Unfortunately, when importing  the "template" I couldn't get a new WI with any links as in the original one.
Not sure I overseen anything :-(

Regards,
Zica

Comments
Eric Jodet commented Aug 19 '14, 1:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

So CSV solution is not good.

Back to the original reason why templates can not be used, "summaries longer than 250 characters"
let's keep in mind that a summary is supposed to be short - after all it's a summary.
So having summaries longer than 250 characters does not make much sense to me.

I would shorten summary - and possibly add details to the description in the template.

Eric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.