It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cleaner options for bringing external vendor data in-house?

Michael Reed (126516) | asked Oct 17 '16, 1:42 p.m.
Let me start off by saying that I do realize that I can get an export of data from our external vendor's database and import it into our internal database. What I am really after here are alternatives. Here are some of my thoughts:
  1. Complete backup of vendor database brought in-house and stood up as a complete archive.
    • Limitations/questions:
      • It really seems like this capability should be feasible but it seems that the Public URI/server renaming crap is really a ball-buster here. I would love to know if anyone has come up with a way to do this to keep the database data intact for local archival reference at the very least.
      • All we would be receiving from the vendor is a copy of their CCM database which means that we would be attempting to bring that up live with a different JTS server. This also means we will not have the same users in our internal environment so credential issues will probably cause some grief.
  2. Online Migration of vendor's database (which we do have access to) to our internal database
    • Limitations/questions:
      • I expect this to be problematic considering that the vendor database has been in existence and continual use for more than two years generating a database size of over 39 GB. Has anyone performed an online database migration with similar sizes? If so, any issues and/or guidance?
      • Also, we would be migrating the data across the WAN if it is determined that this is feasible (which I really don't expect). I have yet to perform an online migration other than for version upgrades from/to the same Public URI/servers. Are there options with the online migration that would help resolve the Public URI/server name and improve reliability and/or speed?
I know I can fall back on the ETL strategy if I have to but I am hoping to be able to utilize a cleaner approach for getting the full database in-house rather than extracting flat data to transform and load into our new internal environment so I am hoping the community might have some good alternatives.

Thanks!

-michael

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.