It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Team area heirachy

Ratheesh Madathil (1371728) | asked Jul 08 '14, 11:49 a.m.
retagged Jul 22 '14, 3:19 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

It is possible to arrange the different different teams.

Also a team area can have its own time line.

But when we create team area heirarchy like Project area x-> Team Area 1-> Team area 11,

for team area 11 I can no more set different timeline.

Is that intended? or is some settings missing..

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 12 '14, 2:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've created work item Allow a nested team area to specify its own timeline (324119) requesting this functionality.
Ratheesh Madathil selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Rohit Balduwa (945511) | answered Jul 09 '14, 12:49 a.m.
Hi Ratheesh

Team areas inherit the process and timeline of their parent, which can be the project area or a parent team area. They can customize the aspects of the process and when allowed, override all or portions of it.

Check this IBM infocenter URL:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_team_area.html&scope=null

Let me know if this helps.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Jul 08 '14, 1:55 p.m.
I'm relatively certain it's by intention.   The 4.0.5 documentation has this to say:

Timeline

A timeline represents an area of activity within a project that typically has its own schedule, deliverables, teams, and process. For example, a project with both new product release development and current product maintenance might define these two efforts in separate timelines because they have different delivery schedules, teams, and processes. Within a timeline, you can create a hierarchy of iterations where top-level iterations represent releases and child iterations represent milestones within those releases.

You can designate one of your timelines as the project timeline. All of the predefined process templates except for the Unconfigured Process template specify a project timeline. The project timeline defines the project area start and end dates along with the iteration breakdown of those dates. The project timeline differs from your other timelines in the following ways:

• The project timeline iterations apply to the project area. This means that if the project timeline process is customized for the current iteration, that customized process affects any artifacts associated with the project area.
  • All team areas that do not have an explicit custom timeline set are governed by the process of the project timeline.
See https://jazz.net/forum/questions/68815/project-timeline  as well.  A statement there about "top level teams" is of particular merit.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 08 '14, 10:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That is correct ... it is by intention.   But I must admit that I've never found out what the motivation for that intention was.   If someone can explain that, it would be interesting to know.

Ratheesh Madathil commented Jul 09 '14, 7:03 a.m. | edited Jul 12 '14, 2:45 a.m.

Thanks for the answers.

This means,  ideally we cannot use the team area heirarchichal arrangements more than one level.

My need is to group set of teams in one common big team (just for heirarchichy) and the other set in another umberlla. There the real team is in the third level in the heirarchy, and there I like to set a seperate time line!.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.