It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problems with Design Manager Rhapsody Client Extension

Joe Gariano (8813137) | asked May 13 '14, 10:36 a.m.
I'm struggling with the DM Rhapsody client extension.  Specifically, I'm unable to move a Rhapsody model to an actively managed DM project (as described in this other forum thread).  Given that the issue has apparently stumped IBM, I'd like some guidance on what my alternative plan of action should be.  Would you suggest I:

a) Create a new DM project that is managed externally and import the model via a .zip file upload, then convert the project to an actively managed one and have the Rhapsody client extension connect up to that one.  I'm not opposed to doing that if it would work.  But I don't know if such a thing would work; I don't know if the Rhapsody client extension can be used to attach to a project that already has a model in it, or if the the client extension needs to perform the initial move of the model to the server in order to attain its initial synchronization.

b) Go down the route of using an externally managed project and doing periodic imports.  I've shied away from this approach thus far because it seems like its more complex than an actively managed project.  But I'm willing to consider it if I can't get the actively managed project to work.

Note that what I'm trying to do is get a Rhapsody model up in DM so I can link it to elements of an RM project.  The most I've been able to do thus far is a .zip import of a model to an externally managed DM project.  But that approach appears to be a one shot import (I've tried making changes to the model and then re-uploading the .zip file, but that appears not to accept any of the model changes and just keeps the old one).  I wouldn't mind periodically importing a zip file manually, but I need to be able to update a model without erasing what's already been done.

Please advise me on what my next step(s) should be, as right now I'm completely stalled in my tracks.

Thanks,
Joe Gariano

One answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered May 14 '14, 8:23 a.m.
Hi Joe,

You can indeed start with an Externally managed project area and then switch to actively managed. Once this is done, there is no going back. The project area will always be actively managed.

The import of your model into an externally managed project area should allow you to import the changes made to the model and contained in the zip (unless there is some limitation with DM 4.0.2).  I have tested DM 4.0.5 and it does work.
Make sure to refresh the page displaying the model content (explorer) after you did a new import.

Else try to use the Rhapsody Import Engine.

Note, from what I know, the Import Engine supports incremental import based on the .rpy (.sbs) resource format and resource timestamps. This is probably true as well for the import using a zip.

If the problem persists, I would advise to contact the IBM Rational Client support.

Regards,
François

Comments
Joe Gariano commented May 14 '14, 11:29 a.m.

Francois,

I'm thinking that something is broken with the Rhapsody client extension, as I'm unable to create a new model directly on design manager.  I tried setting up the import engine, but the import is not overwriting the initial model that I put in there - like my experience with the .zip file update, the engine based import is not picking up the changes I've made to the model.

At this point, I will take your advice and contact IBM Rational Client support.

Thanks,
Joe

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.