It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

C:\testDB folder suddenly created after CCM server restart

Pierre Friend (191915) | asked May 07 '14, 9:53 a.m.
We have a distributed v.4.0.4 CLM server env. using windows 2008 server with oracle back-end db.
After a stop and restart of our CCM server last night, the web UI returned the following errors when I logged in this morning.
This application needs to be registered with a Jazz Team Server to function correctly. To proceed, use the Setup Wizard located on the Jazz Team Server (For example: https://servername.domain.com:9443/jts/setup).
Database Status
CRJAZ1061I The database is responding, but the Jazz repository schemas and tables cannot be found. Check that the database JDBC location is correct. If this is a new database, stop the server and use the "repotools" command to create the tables.
I noticed that the DB connection configuration defaulted back to DERBY. The teamserver.properties file was OK - still pointing to the oracle db parameters. Investigation discovered that a new folder called testDb was somehow created automatically under the system root C:\
Resolution:
Stopped the server - deleted the testDB folder - restarted the server. The server is now responding and working as expected. The connection to the oracle db was re-established.
Nothing in the jazz logs or WAS logs can explain how this testDB folder suddenly showed up under the C:\ drive. Also, fyi all our applications are installed on E:\ and not on C:\
This server has been in production for over 2 years and this has never happened before.

Have anybody ever seen this behavior or do you have an explanation as to why this testDB folder would suddenly be created and why the CCM application would default back to use the DERBY database after the restart.

Thanks,
Pierre

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented May 08 '14, 5:00 a.m.

Hi Pierre,
One clarification question: is this folder empty or there are any files there? Which files?

Pierre Friend commented May 08 '14, 9:36 a.m. | edited May 08 '14, 10:02 a.m.

Hello,
The size of the C:\testDB is 1.7MB
Yes, there are folders and files under C:\testDB
At the root of testDB the folders are: log, seg0, tmp
At the root of testDB the files are: db.lck, service.properties
In the log folder, the files are: log1.dat, log.ctrl, logmirror.ctrl
In the seg0 folder, there are 70 *.dat files
The tmp folder is empty
The contents of the service.properties file

C:\testDB

Please do NOT edit this file.                

CHANGING THE CONTENT OF THIS FILE MAY CAUSE DATA CORRUPTION.

Tue Dec 31 02:46:05 EST 2013

SysschemasIndex2Identifier=225
SyscolumnsIdentifier=144
SysconglomeratesIndex1Identifier=49
SysconglomeratesIdentifier=32
SyscolumnsIndex2Identifier=177
SysschemasIndex1Identifier=209
SysconglomeratesIndex3Identifier=81
SystablesIndex2Identifier=129
SyscolumnsIndex1Identifier=161
derby.serviceProtocol=org.apache.derby.database.Database
SysschemasIdentifier=192
derby.storage.propertiesId=16
SysconglomeratesIndex2Identifier=65
derby.serviceLocale=en_US
SystablesIdentifier=96
SystablesIndex1Identifier=113

btw, our servers are scheduled to stop and start every single night and this is the first time we see this. I checked the CCM server this morning after last nights restart and everything is OK…no signs of the folder c:\testDB. No other applications requiring a DB connection are installed on this windows server. It is strictly used to host the CCM application v.4.0.4 and WAS v.8.0.0.3

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k480103) | answered May 08 '14, 10:04 a.m.
Hi Pierre,
It seems that by mistake you set your derby database location to c: in teamserver.properties. That caused generation of the database on your disk.
I believe that you can remove it.

Let us know if that helps.
Pierre Friend selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Pierre Friend commented May 08 '14, 10:24 a.m. | edited May 16 '14, 2:25 a.m.

Hello,
This is not possible. The teamserver.properties file DB parameters are and have always been set to Oracle. The file has not been modified since september 9, 2013. There is no reference or ever was a reference to DERBY database in the teamserver.properties file.
If it happens again, I will open a PMR.
Thanks,
Pierre

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.