It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RRC 4.05 or above, how do I copy/duplicate an artifact from one project area to another?

Norbert Raymond (634) | asked Apr 30 '14, 7:01 p.m.
In RRC 4.05 or above, how do I copy/duplicate an artifact from one project area to another?

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Apr 30 '14, 11:21 p.m.
Hi Norbert,

I don't think you can simply copy artifacts across project areas because that will require the artifact/attribute/data types are exactly the same in these project areas. In other words, the artifact/attribute/data types have to be common, which is not the case in RRC.

But you can extract the artifacts to CSV files and import them into another project area to achieve the same goal. You have to make sure the necessary artifact/attribute/data types are already defined in the target project area though. You can see below documents for details about exporting/importing CSV files in RRC.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_export_csv.html
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_import_csv.html

permanent link
Davyd Norris (20221014) | answered May 01 '14, 12:44 a.m.
Actually you may be better off exporting and importing using ReqIF instead of CSV - will be a simpler process and is more of a standard interchange format in the RM space than CSV

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 01 '14, 1:27 a.m.

Hi Davyd,
Importing ReqIF into an empty project area is quite straightforward and it's an easy way to build up the type system. But if the target project area already has its own type system, we have to be very careful with importing ReqIF since the type name can be duplicated.

Davyd Norris commented May 01 '14, 10:03 p.m.

Oh :-(

That's a bit nasty - thanks for that info Don. I have seen it duplicate attributes on import but I didn't know that the ReqIF import was that simplistic.

Is there any enhancement in place to add some smarts to this so that it will let you at least map to existing types and attributes?

Donald Nong commented May 02 '14, 4:57 a.m.

I'm not aware of such enhancement. Such mapping has to be by hand and it will become tedious if there are many attributes to map. CSV import is a safer option here.
Currently, RRC/DNG is designed to only merge system-defined types.

Important: The first time that you import, types and artifacts are created. If you import the same data later, all of the data except for the view column information is updated. During an import, only system-defined attributes and types are merged. Artifact types, attributes, data types, and folders that were not already imported from a ReqIF file are created in the project that you are importing to. For example, the file that you are importing and the project that you are importing to might both contain a Priority attribute. In that case, an attribute named Priority2 is created during the import.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_import_reqif.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.