It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Collection template in RRC

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Apr 17 '14, 6:51 a.m.
The user uses 3.0.1.x and have the below requirement:
===
could RRC create collection template that have artifact template.
Collection1 Template
--Artifact Design Doc template
--Artifact Requirement Doc template

so when we have new requirement, we can create Collection Template that include artifact design and requirement doc. not create one by one artifact
==
My understanding is RRC allow to create artifact template. So it seems that each -Artifact Design Doc template and Artifact Requirement Doc template can be created. Does RRC allow to put both template to a collection template?
Or there is other to achieve the request?
Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Apr 18 '14, 9:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you can create a collection artifact template from the Templates tab of the Project Properties.  When you click New Template, you just specify an existing template in the "Create template based on" field.  (Note that for collection and other artifacts, you can also create a template from the existing artifact; when you open the artifact to use for the template, there is a button at the top right of the editor for Create Artifact Template.)

Any collection you create using that template will have the same artifacts in it when it is created.  So if there are 2 artifacts in the collection when you create the template, then all new collections created using that template will have those 2 artifacts in it.  

But to be a little clearer, any collection created from that template will include *those exact 2 artifacts* in them.  So if the collection includes Artifact A and Artifact B in it when the template is created, any future collections created from that template will also include Artifact A and Artifact B.  It "reuses" those artifacts; it does not create new versions or duplicates of those artifacts.  

Hopefully that is clearer.  (I think my comment about templates themselves vs the artifacts they are created from is not relevant here).  I'd be curious to know if this "reuse" of artifacts across collections will work for you, or if you are looking for duplication or generation of new artifacts for each new collection.  
Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Apr 21 '14, 6:01 a.m.

Thanks Kirk for the further confirmation.
From your comments, do you mean that "if you are looking for duplication or generation of new artifacts for each new collection.  " is impossible or there is any way to achieve that?
I think I have to back to your original comments "the templates themselves (as opposed to the artifacts they were created from) are not visible in the folder structure, so they cannot be added to collections.   ", does that mean if there are two(or more) artifact templates, there is no way to have a collection template which could include those artifact templates(with this way, we would expect to generate new artifacts every time when using the collection template if it can be done)?

Kirk Grotjohn commented Apr 21 '14, 9:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no automated way to generate duplicates or create new artifacts based on templates every time you create a new collection.  You could do this manually by first duplicating all of the artifacts that you want to duplicate, and the putting those into a new collection.  But I think you are looking for something more automated.  

I think that would be a reasonable enhancement request if you wanted to open one.  Also, you might want to look at modules.  Module templates do have a "duplication policy", in which you could specify to create new copies of the module contents every time a new module is created from that template.  

Kirk Grotjohn commented Apr 21 '14, 9:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

As to the 2nd question, when you create an artifact template, it is always based on an existing artifact.  When you create a template based on Artifact A, Artifact A does not become the template... it is just the basis for the new template.  Artifact A continues to exist as a normal artifact, and you can still see it in your folder structure. The template that is created is a new resource, but it only appears in the Project Properties (in the Templates tab); it does not appear in the folder structure, so you cannot add it to a collection.  

Don Yang commented Apr 21 '14, 10:00 p.m.

Thanks Kirk for the further explanation/confirmation. I am confirming if we can close this post.

One other answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Apr 17 '14, 5:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I'm not sure I completely follow what you're trying to achieve, but I'll try to answer anyway and you can follow up if needed.  When you create a collection template, that will include the artifacts in it.  
Also, you can create an artifact template based on an existing artifact.  You could put those existing artifacts that were used to create the artifact templates into the collection and use that for the collection template.  However, the templates themselves (as opposed to the artifacts they were created from) are not visible in the folder structure, so they cannot be added to collections.  

Hope that helps some.  If you explain more what you're trying to achieve, I might be able to help more. 

Comments
Don Yang commented Apr 17 '14, 7:33 p.m.

Thanks Kirk for the info.
I only see we are able to create artifact template in the admin's template tab from an existing artifact. If I have two artifacts and add the two into the collection, where can I create the collection template? From the same place of artifact template creation(based on existing artifact)?

I don't fully understand what you mean "the templates themselves (as opposed to the artifacts they were created from) are not visible in the folder structure, so they cannot be added to collections.", Do you mean I actually can not use that collection template to create a collection which will automatically have two artifacts included? If that's the case, what is the use case of the collection template? Please can you provide a bit more explanation on this?
The intention to have collection template is to create a collection in which the expected two artifacts are generated without creating one by one. Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.