It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you troubleshoot a "missing" Participant

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Mar 25 '14, 5:58 a.m.
I have multiple participants already but am hitting an issue with a new one, in that it isn't showing up in the list of available participants on a WorkItemSave action.  However, I am unable to find any indication in ANY log (that I can find) that would indicate what the issue is.

I have already:
1) did a requestReset of the server
2) taken down and restarted my Eclipse client.  In fact, I actually installed a NEW eclipse client on the same machine as the server and it also doesn't show up as available there (i did this to ensure no weird client caching of the project area)
3) double-checked the name of my update site URL and the FeatureID in the provision_profiles .ini file

When I do all of this, then restart the server, it starts.  However, when I go to Operational Behaviors, the participant isnt' shown as available.  I see nothing in the ccm.log file that would indicate any issue loading this (there are multple errors about migration tasks that couldn't succeed which I don't really understand since this was a brand new machine that never had RTC on it before).

How would one go about figuring out what is wrong?  For example, did it read my CreateVerification.ini file and attempt to find the update site?  Did it not find the update site? Did it not find the Feature ID? For some reason did my feature not get built properly so it can't find the right things as it loads?   Could I be missing a dependency? Would it fail on a dependency here, or wait until the first time the plugin was actually called within the scope of a WorKItemSave?

I believe I have double-checked everything and am quite stuck :-(
Susan

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 25 '14, 6:24 a.m.

I start by making errors in the ini file to see each one
then move the site.xml
then move the plugin

I also find it silently not loading if the plugin dependencies versions don't match
I usually make sure to take off all version numbers.

course I do this all in test cause you have to cycle the server so many times..
and of course, you have to restart the server cold eac time to force the plugin reload.

sam detweiler commented Mar 25 '14, 7:13 a.m. | edited Mar 25 '14, 7:14 a.m.

also, try the osgi console on the server

from https://jazz.net/forum/questions/67113/help-operation-advisor-plugin-not-found-on-prod-sys (when I had similar problems)

To run OSGi console, you can try to run the following command under /server directory:
repotools-jazz.bat -console -noexit
In the osgi console, you use "ss" command to list all the installed bundles and use "diag " command to diagnose your plugin.
For example:
osgi> diag com.ibm.team.process.service

Susan Hanson commented Mar 25 '14, 7:48 a.m.

Thanks Sam. ... I believe it is wrong version on my plugin dependencies.  We just moved up to 4.0.5 :-)  I've created my new TargetPlatform with the 4.0.5 SDK and added the plugins to the Java Search.

I then have gone in to attempt to move my dependencies up.  I haven't seen a way to not have the version # in the Required Plugins section of the plugin.xml. 

Is there an easy way to tell Eclipse to "refresh" to pick up new versions of the dependencies?  it looks like I have to remove each one and then add each back in, finding them in the list again.

Susan

sam detweiler commented Mar 25 '14, 7:49 a.m. | edited Mar 25 '14, 7:51 a.m.

I just edit the manifest.mf and remove all the trailing version info, then rebuild

the filename listed wil lbe

I remove the :versionifo 

sam detweiler commented Mar 25 '14, 8:44 a.m.

You can also use the ui to remove the version info, pretty simple 

Susan Hanson commented Mar 25 '14, 9:53 a.m.

okay, so I tried using -clean on my client ... still don't see it in the list of available participants.
the 'ss' command in OSGI showed that it was resolved:
218     RESOLVED    CreateVerificationRecordParticipant_1.0.0.0

and diag also seems to be happy:
osgi> diag CreateVerificationRecordParticipant
file:/E%3a/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/ccm/sites/CreateVerification-update-site/plugins/CreateVerificationRecordParticipant_1.0.0.0.jar [2
  No unresolved constraints.

osgi>

Next thought??

sam detweiler commented Mar 25 '14, 10:14 a.m.

are u sure you have it for the right event point?  (workitem save server or whatever)? 

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.