It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I fix Eclipse/RTC 4.0.6 crashes on startup?

Eric Marsh (154) | asked Jul 29 '15, 11:19 a.m.
I've installed RTC Jazz 4.0.6 on two different Ubuntu 14.04 VMs. One of the VMs is from a virgin Ubuntu iso download. The other is from a pre-configured IBM Open Client iso.

The Ubuntu instance starts and runs fine. The Open Client instance crashes on startup.

The top of the stack from the core file looks like this:

0SECTION       THREADS subcomponent dump routine
NULL           =================================
NULL          
1XMCURTHDINFO  Current thread
NULL           ----------------------
3XMTHREADINFO      "main" J9VMThread:0x000000004216E100, j9thread_t:0x00007F071402DC30, java/lang/Thread:0x00000000022BAA78, state:R, prio=6
3XMJAVALTHREAD            (java/lang/Thread getId:0x1, isDaemon:false)
3XMTHREADINFO1            (native thread ID:0x1976, native priority:0x6, native policy:UNKNOWN)
3XMTHREADINFO2            (native stack address range from:0x00007F071A427000, to:0x00007F071AC28000, size:0x801000)
3XMTHREADINFO3           Java callstack:
4XESTACKTRACE                at org/eclipse/swt/internal/webkit/WebKitGTK._soup_session_feature_detach(Native Method)
4XESTACKTRACE                at org/eclipse/swt/internal/webkit/WebKitGTK.soup_session_feature_detach(WebKitGTK.java:561)
4XESTACKTRACE                at org/eclipse/swt/browser/WebKit.create(WebKit.java:600)
4XESTACKTRACE                at org/eclipse/swt/browser/Browser.<init>(Browser.java:99)

I infer that the problem is occurring when it tries to bring of Firefox. I've done some web searches which instructed that the following changes to the environment be made, which I have done.

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/firefox
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to best attack this problem?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jul 30 '15, 12:00 a.m.
The environment variables are not the "be all" solution, and you need to know why the variables are set in such a way.

Your RTC Eclipse client crashed when trying to load WebKit, not Firefox. You can add the following line to eclipse.ini to force it to load Firefox instead.
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=mozilla
If you have not done so, take a look at this old post where many suggestions were made.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/104317/jvm-terminated-exit-code160-when-submitting-build-in-rtc-eclipse-elient

If you still have problems, give more details about the issue, such as the complete Java dump (you omitted the top part), the location of Mozilla Firefox (you need to verify its existence), and the eclipse.ini content (if modified).

Eric Marsh selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Eric Marsh commented Jul 30 '15, 10:25 a.m. | edited Sep 26 '15, 11:50 p.m.

Thanks, that seems to have solved the problem.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.