It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Getting error message in RTC 3.0.1 CRJAZ1994E The database server version check failed

Kegham Anbarjian (231611) | asked Mar 12 '14, 2:52 p.m.
Hello,

I upgraded RQM 2.0.1 to RQM 3.0.1. The RQM 2.0.1 data was exported to an Oracle  database version 11.2.0.2.0. The app is installed in Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Ed Service Pack1. I am running RTC/RQM on WebSphere Application Server version 7.0.0.31, 64bit version. Per RQM 3.0.1 upgrade instructions, I set up the environment variable JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in Windows. I am using ojdbc5.jar version 11.2.0.2.0, as it's been my understanding that this is the minimum version required. I am attaching some screen shots for reference. I am getting the following error message: 

CRJAZ1994E The database server version check failed. $CRJAZ1252I Database version detected is "Oracle Database 11g Release 11.1.0.0.0 - Production" but Oracle 10.2.0.0 or 11.2.0.2 or later is required.

I know for fact that I am connecting to the Oracle database version 11.2.0.2.0, yet the RTC diagnostics tool thinks it's 11.1.0.0.0. The app is using WAS JVM version 1.6 (Java6 SR15). I even updated the CLASSPATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables in Windows to point to the WAS JVM for the sake of consistency.

I experimented with various settings, tried ojdbc5.jar version 11.2.0.3.0, even added the parameter ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in WAS console. I keep getting the same error message. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any help I can get to resolve would be much appreciated.

On a related note, I know that there are newer releases of RTC/RQM 3.0.1.5 and RQM 3.0.1.6, but I am hesitating installing the upgrade. For one, I want to make sure that I can resolve the database connection issue before I can proceed. The other reason is because the upgrade makes changes to the RTC 3.0.1 schemas which are not reversible. I'd like to make sure that I can fix the problem before I can make any upgrade.

Thanks,
Kevin

RQM 301 Diagnostics_3-12-2014.jpg
RQM Version
WAS 7 64bit JVM Properties
ojdbc5.jar
ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE
CLASSPATH
JAVA_HOME

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 12 '14, 2:55 p.m. | edited Mar 12 '14, 4:10 p.m.

Here are the screen shots.

One answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Mar 12 '14, 6:17 p.m.
Hi Kegham,
According to the last sentence in technote http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21461402, if you are using WAS 7 which is based on a 1.6 JVM, you need to use the ojdbc6 driver (11.2.0.2.0 or higher).
Though the error code is different, you can have a try.

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 13 '14, 5:12 p.m.

Hi Lily,

Thank you for your feedback. I tried your suggestion and switched the param setting to point to ojdbc6.jar in the WIndows environment variable. It didn't solve the problem, the error message is still there. I tried using ojdbc6.jar version 11.2.0.2.0 and version 11.2.0.4.0.

Can you confirm that the environment variable ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE is meant to be set in Windows 2008 only, and not in the WAS Integrated Console?

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

Lily Wang commented Mar 13 '14, 6:32 p.m.

Hi Kevin,
You do need to set ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in Custom properties in WAS.
Please have a look http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_upgrading_3011.html step 4i.

Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 13 '14, 7:10 p.m.

Thanks, Lily. I added the following custom JVM property in WAS Console, it still throws the same error:

Name: ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE
Value: C:/oracle/product/11.2.0/client_1/jdbc/lib/ojdbc6.jar

Note that I am using the absolute path to the driver, per instruction: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_setup_WAS.html

Lily Wang commented Mar 14 '14, 1:16 a.m.

As I known the most possible cause is OJDBC driver version which should be 11.2.0.2.0 or later.
Another thing to check if under "C:/oracle/product/11.2.0/client_1/jdbc/lib/" there's no other ojdbc driver file.
If the issue still persists, I suggest you create a support ticket.

Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 14 '14, 2:01 p.m.

Hi Lily,

In regards to opening a support ticket, it's something that I haven't done before. Do you happen to have the URL for opening a ticket? Would it be on the IBM Rational Supprt portal ? http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/support?lnk=uctug_ratl_ibmcom_2012-05-30_rational_eguide_innovate_2012

Do you have an example of what you type for the value of ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in WAS Integrated Console? I want to make sure that my syntax and format are correct.

Thanks,
Kevin

Lily Wang commented Mar 17 '14, 1:14 a.m.

Hi Kegham,
I don't have the environment with Oracle myself. You can refer to https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/ConfigureCLMOnWASWithLDAP step 10.

To submit support ticket online, you can use www.ibm.com/software/support/probsub.html

Kegham Anbarjian commented Jun 25 '14, 12:34 p.m.

Hi Lily,

To follow up, I opened a ticket and worked with the Rational team back then. It turned out that the Windows environment variable ORACLE_JDBC which was being used for exporting RQM 2.x data to a tar file was interfering with the Windows env variable ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE used for importing RQM data into RQM 3.x. Once I removed ORACLE_JDBC and restarted WAS, the problem went away. Same cleanup was done within the WAS integrated console, as I made sure that ORACLE_JDBC is removed in JVM property settings. Thought of sharing this with everyone, in case someone else encounters similar conditions.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.