It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Getting error message in RTC 3.0.1 CRJAZ1994E The database server version check failed

Kegham Anbarjian (231611) | asked Mar 12 '14, 2:52 p.m.
Hello,

I upgraded RQM 2.0.1 to RQM 3.0.1. The RQM 2.0.1 data was exported to an Oracle  database version 11.2.0.2.0. The app is installed in Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Ed Service Pack1. I am running RTC/RQM on WebSphere Application Server version 7.0.0.31, 64bit version. Per RQM 3.0.1 upgrade instructions, I set up the environment variable JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in Windows. I am using ojdbc5.jar version 11.2.0.2.0, as it's been my understanding that this is the minimum version required. I am attaching some screen shots for reference. I am getting the following error message: 

CRJAZ1994E The database server version check failed. $CRJAZ1252I Database version detected is "Oracle Database 11g Release 11.1.0.0.0 - Production" but Oracle 10.2.0.0 or 11.2.0.2 or later is required.

I know for fact that I am connecting to the Oracle database version 11.2.0.2.0, yet the RTC diagnostics tool thinks it's 11.1.0.0.0. The app is using WAS JVM version 1.6 (Java6 SR15). I even updated the CLASSPATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables in Windows to point to the WAS JVM for the sake of consistency.

I experimented with various settings, tried ojdbc5.jar version 11.2.0.3.0, even added the parameter ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in WAS console. I keep getting the same error message. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any help I can get to resolve would be much appreciated.

On a related note, I know that there are newer releases of RTC/RQM 3.0.1.5 and RQM 3.0.1.6, but I am hesitating installing the upgrade. For one, I want to make sure that I can resolve the database connection issue before I can proceed. The other reason is because the upgrade makes changes to the RTC 3.0.1 schemas which are not reversible. I'd like to make sure that I can fix the problem before I can make any upgrade.

Thanks,
Kevin

RQM 301 Diagnostics_3-12-2014.jpg
RQM Version
WAS 7 64bit JVM Properties
ojdbc5.jar
ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE
CLASSPATH
JAVA_HOME

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 12 '14, 2:55 p.m. | edited Mar 12 '14, 4:10 p.m.

Here are the screen shots.

One answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Mar 12 '14, 6:17 p.m.
Hi Kegham,
According to the last sentence in technote http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21461402, if you are using WAS 7 which is based on a 1.6 JVM, you need to use the ojdbc6 driver (11.2.0.2.0 or higher).
Though the error code is different, you can have a try.

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 13 '14, 5:12 p.m.

Hi Lily,

Thank you for your feedback. I tried your suggestion and switched the param setting to point to ojdbc6.jar in the WIndows environment variable. It didn't solve the problem, the error message is still there. I tried using ojdbc6.jar version 11.2.0.2.0 and version 11.2.0.4.0.

Can you confirm that the environment variable ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE is meant to be set in Windows 2008 only, and not in the WAS Integrated Console?

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

Lily Wang commented Mar 13 '14, 6:32 p.m.

Hi Kevin,
You do need to set ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in Custom properties in WAS.
Please have a look http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_upgrading_3011.html step 4i.

Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 13 '14, 7:10 p.m.

Thanks, Lily. I added the following custom JVM property in WAS Console, it still throws the same error:

Name: ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE
Value: C:/oracle/product/11.2.0/client_1/jdbc/lib/ojdbc6.jar

Note that I am using the absolute path to the driver, per instruction: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_setup_WAS.html

Lily Wang commented Mar 14 '14, 1:16 a.m.

As I known the most possible cause is OJDBC driver version which should be 11.2.0.2.0 or later.
Another thing to check if under "C:/oracle/product/11.2.0/client_1/jdbc/lib/" there's no other ojdbc driver file.
If the issue still persists, I suggest you create a support ticket.

Kegham Anbarjian commented Mar 14 '14, 2:01 p.m.

Hi Lily,

In regards to opening a support ticket, it's something that I haven't done before. Do you happen to have the URL for opening a ticket? Would it be on the IBM Rational Supprt portal ? http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/support?lnk=uctug_ratl_ibmcom_2012-05-30_rational_eguide_innovate_2012

Do you have an example of what you type for the value of ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE in WAS Integrated Console? I want to make sure that my syntax and format are correct.

Thanks,
Kevin

Lily Wang commented Mar 17 '14, 1:14 a.m.

Hi Kegham,
I don't have the environment with Oracle myself. You can refer to https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/ConfigureCLMOnWASWithLDAP step 10.

To submit support ticket online, you can use www.ibm.com/software/support/probsub.html

Kegham Anbarjian commented Jun 25 '14, 12:34 p.m.

Hi Lily,

To follow up, I opened a ticket and worked with the Rational team back then. It turned out that the Windows environment variable ORACLE_JDBC which was being used for exporting RQM 2.x data to a tar file was interfering with the Windows env variable ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE used for importing RQM data into RQM 3.x. Once I removed ORACLE_JDBC and restarted WAS, the problem went away. Same cleanup was done within the WAS integrated console, as I made sure that ORACLE_JDBC is removed in JVM property settings. Thought of sharing this with everyone, in case someone else encounters similar conditions.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.