It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Closing out an iteration

Erik anderson (38315029) | asked Feb 25 '14, 4:02 p.m.
When we complete an iteration, we want to remove it from the work item "Planned For" drop down but still have the iterations available for calculating team velocity.  What is the proper procedure for doing that?

One answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Feb 25 '14, 8:10 p.m.
Hi Erik,
You can edit the iteration un-check "A release is scheduled for this iteration". After save the change, you will not see the iteration in "Planned for" when creating a work item.

Comments
Erik anderson commented Feb 26 '14, 12:26 p.m.

That is what were were doing until we noticed it hides plans configured against the iteration and changes the behavior of queries that use the "Planned For" attribute with "is part of" (it does not include work items from these iterations and there is no visual indication in the query editor that they will not be included).  So we changed to archiving iterations which also removes the iteration from the planned for drop down and allows us to view archived plans and query archived iterations.

Now we're noticing that the archived iterations can not be included in the "Team Velocity" widget (although we can include them in a full Team Velocity Report).

That's what prompted the question of the definitive way to close out an iteration.

Given the response above, when would it be appropriate to Archive an iteration (vs unckecking "A release is planned for this iteration").

Lily Wang commented Feb 26 '14, 7:46 p.m.

What's RTC version you are using?
For the two issues you mentioned, I can only see the issues in RTC 3.0.1.3. But in RTC 4.0.4, there's no problem to view the plan of the iteration and select the iteration in a query.
I think they are fixed in:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=231651
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=194542

Erik anderson commented Feb 27 '14, 11:20 a.m.

Eclipse Rich Client
Version: 4.0.3
Build id: RTC-I20130517-1856

I read through some of the work items and my client is not working as described,  Seems like there were a lot of problems related to this feature.  Guess I'll test it again in 4.0.5.

Erik anderson commented Feb 27 '14, 4:47 p.m.

4.0.5 doesn't appear any better

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.