It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can a user email a work item (manually)?

Luke McDermott (1122) | asked Apr 15 '15, 5:36 p.m.
We recently transitioned from Quality Center to Rational Team Concert for bug tracking & numerous users are asking me, "How can I email a Defect?"
I am aware of RTC's capabilities for automatic emails & adding subscribers, but we're wondering about whether an RTC user can manually send an email with Work Item details (e.g., Defect fields & description) with custom text included.
This was a basic feature of Quality Center (even dating back to the early 2000's) in addition to automated rules-driven emails, so I'm confused that RTC does not seem to have an icon or easy UI method of doing this.

1. Is this possible at all in RTC (perhaps with some server level tweaks)?
2. If not, do you know why not?  It appears to be a glaring design flaw...

Thanks!

Comments
Don Yang commented Apr 16 '15, 3:05 a.m.

A BP has developed the plugin which can do the job and you may want to have a look:
http://www-304.ibm.com/partnerworld/gsd/solutiondetails.do?solution=46352&expand=true&lc=en

Luke McDermott commented Apr 16 '15, 9:36 a.m.

This plug-in appears to be a "for sale" option, for which I don't think we'll have budget at this time, but I shared that as well with our team and management can decide if they wish to pursue it.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 16 '15, 2:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 16 '15, 2:52 a.m.
What RTC provides is to mention a user in a comment with whatever details you want to add there which will trigger an e-mail to be sent to the user. You simply type @userid (CTRL Space for content assist) and the mentions mail is sent.

The mail contains a link to the work item so that the user can go to the real content.

Comments
Luke McDermott commented Apr 16 '15, 9:36 a.m.

It's too bad there's no out of the box option to send work item details with a selectable user list (since remembering other people's user IDs can be difficult & IDs are not apparent in RTC UI) like in other modern defect tracking systems, but the @userID option is a workable solution for small teams, thanks!

Brian Fleming commented Apr 16 '15, 10:11 a.m.

As Ralph mentioned, pressing "Ctrl Space" when focus is in a new comment will bring up a list of users with the option to search for others.

Brian Fleming commented Apr 16 '15, 10:14 a.m.

As Ralph mentioned, pressing "Ctrl space" when focus is in a new comment will bring up a list of users with the option to search for others.  You should not need to remember other people's ids.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.