It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC shell client: using external compare tool and built-in tool for different type(extension) of files

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Jan 29 '14, 3:57 a.m.
retagged Jan 29 '14, 7:11 a.m. by Lakshmi Narasimhan T V (4415)
RTC4.0.4/4.0.5 and Windows Shell client used.
There is a need to use self developed custom compare tool for a specific type of file only and all other type of files, they intend to use RTC embedded compare tool(custom tool only support one specific type of tool). Windows shell client is considered at this moment.

However, in Windows shell client > manage preferences > compare tools, it only has option to add the external compare tool. Once the external compare tool is set, the user can only use it or built-in tool to compare the versioned files. There is no option to open the specific compare tool(external or internal) for the specific file.

Is this achievable in Windows shell client?

I notice that in Eclipse client, there is two options in the context menu in PendingChange view:
Open in compare Editor (I think this is the embedded compare tool)
Open in external compare editor

Although I don't find an automatic way to make the two editors for the specified file types, at least it seems that the user can use the option to open the file in different compare tools in Eclipse client.
I am wondering why the same menus are not available in Windows Shell client. Is that I did not find the menus
in shell client or it is actually not existing as Eclipse client can do or there is any way to achieve the same in the shell client? Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lakshmi Narasimhan T V (4415) | answered Jan 29 '14, 9:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
> There is no option to open the specific compare tool(external or internal) for the specific file.
There is a work item tracking this issue.

> I notice that in Eclipse client, there is two options in the context menu in PendingChange view:
> Open in compare Editor (I think this is the embedded compare tool)
> Open in external compare editor
There is only one menu item for the compare operation. This launches the default compare merge tool or the external compare merge tool if one is set in preferences.
Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Feb 02 '14, 4:59 p.m.

Thank you very much for the info and pointing  me to the RFE.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.