It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Add files to source control (yes again)

Radio Pizza (2126) | asked Jan 14 '14, 8:00 p.m.
retagged Jan 29 '14, 2:20 p.m. by Dejan Custic (2855)
OK, no sarcastic replies from Administrators and Developers, thanks. This is a serious question because a million ping-pong answers-reply-answers-reply and it is not proper documented anywhere in Jazz. Furthermore I cannot find an useful procedure/approach/documentation to address this extremely simple question.

HOW TO ADD FILES IN JAZZ?

Background
- Brand new Project Area created, named: Area
- Newly Stream created, named: Project_1
- Four Component added, named: A - B - C - D
- Files to add, lots of them, dunno what are those . . . just files

Tool
- RTC native Eclipse: downloaded, unzipped, double click on eclipse.exe to run

Procedure
- Connected to Repository, ID and Password provided
- Selected Project_1 and correctly listed under Connected Repository
- Expanded  Project --> expanded "Source Control"
- Right click on "Source Control" --> New Repository Workspace
- On Pop-Out  Next --> Next --> Next --> Select All --> Finish
- Next Pop-Out "Browse the components to select the folders to be loaded" --> Next --> Select all
- Same Pop-Out Sandbox: C:\Workspace\Eclipse
- Same Pop-Out "Load the selected folders but do not create Eclipse projects"
- Click Finish

Now, I went into my C:\Workspace\Eclipse\Project_1 and I copied the files in the four component A - B - C - D.

QUESTION: How do I add the files into Source Control now? What bus did I miss? Tortoise and all the other GUI tools are so USER FRIENDLY.

Waiting impatiently to add the zillion files

5 answers

permanent link
Radio Pizza (2126) | answered Jan 27 '14, 9:44 a.m.
edited Jan 27 '14, 9:45 a.m.
Thank you for your kind replies BUT I SOLVED THIS ISSUE MYSELF

I am shoked that it is not documented and that despite lots of questions in the forum this wasn't answered simply.

In case you wonder how to do it:

After navigating into my C:\Workspace\Eclipse\Project_1 and copied the files in the four component A - B - C - D.

- On Pending Changes tab (in Jazz Eclipse) there is the icon with two yellow arrows, on the drop-down select "Refresh Sandbox and Remote Changes"

Private files are shown "by magic"

Too difficult to explain it plain and simple like this?

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 14 '14, 8:53 p.m.
to put an Eclipse project into RTC, right click the project -> Team->Share project, Jazz Source Control, add or use a component
this will put it into YOUR workspace on the server.  not shared with everyone yet.

now you need to Deliver them to the server Stream (shared workspace).
in the Pending changes view, right click, Deliver.

now the files should be on the server for everyone to see. In their component 'folders'

'Load' is extract from server to your workspace,

I will only add 'files' should be related to some development 'project', and thus in some eclipse project (If u are using eclipse).

a 'file' on your file system that doesn't belong in a 'project', doesn't belong in the source code system.

permanent link
Stephen Long (14311013) | answered Jan 15 '14, 4:04 a.m.

You might find the following articles useful

Easing into Jazz Source Control - https://jazz.net/library/article/539

Jazz Source Control FAQ  - https://jazz.net/library/article/126

permanent link
Brian DiCola (29311415) | answered Jan 27 '14, 10:37 a.m.
Hi Radio,
Glad you got it to work.

Regarding this step:
"Now, I went into my C:\Workspace\Eclipse\Project_1 and I copied the files in the four component A - B - C - D."

One thing to note is there are a few ways to get files into your sandbox.  It looks like you opted to copy files using Windows Explorer.  I have found that if you go that route, then it helps to go into Eclipse.  Change perspective to Java and in the Package Explorer view, right click and refresh.  This tells Eclipse to note any changes that happened outside of its control.  Sometimes, this is not necessary, but sometimes it is.  Not sure why.

The other way is to use the Eclipse File-->Import functionality.  If you have existing projects, you can select "Existing Projects".  Otherwise choose "File System" and follow the prompts to bring the files into Eclipse.

Once Eclipse is aware of the files, doing what you found "Refresh Sandbox..." may be needed as well to get the Pending Changes view to see the files.  Both "refresh" functionalities seem to be on a timer and they need a kick in the pants once in a while to get it done in real time.

permanent link
Dejan Custic (2855) | answered Jan 29 '14, 2:19 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The preference to automatically detect local changes (outside of the Eclipse client) is documented here https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_scm_eclipse_modify.html
  1. Click Window > Preferences.
  2. On the Preferences page, navigate to Team > Jazz Source Control > Local Changes.
  3. On the Local Changes page, select Automatically detect changes.
  4. Click Apply.
Then, you shouldn't need to refresh your sandbox to detect changes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.