It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Copying Source Control data into a new Project Area

Peter Turvey (99236) | asked Nov 14 '18, 4:24 a.m.
retagged Nov 27 '18, 9:43 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

I have a few project areas of varying sizes running on RTC v602.

I am now setting up a new v606 Jazz Team Server on new hardware and I want to start off with a project that is based upon  a small project from the original server.

I extracted the Process template from the existing server and imported it into the new JTS. Then I created my new project and set up some Team Areas and Timelines.

Now I want to take a copy of about 15 components and 5 streams from the existing project and load them into the new project on the new JTS v606.
I only need the latest version of each file (I don’t care about older versions of files / baselines)

Is there a recommended way of doing this, e.g. an article I should follow ?
Thanks
                  Peter

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Nov 14 '18, 9:47 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 14 '18, 2:22 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

David, this usually requires the servers to be 'compatible' which menas the same version for a huge bunch of them.

David Lafreniere commented Nov 14 '18, 2:42 p.m.
In general (unless a N&N or other doc states otherwise) distributed SCM follows the n-1 rule. So in this case flowing between a 6.0.2 and 6.0.6 server should work fine.

Peter Turvey commented Nov 15 '18, 11:08 a.m. | edited Nov 15 '18, 12:21 p.m.

Thanks for useful reply. But I currently have problem when I try to create Rep workspace for the components I wish to transfer.
I have eclipse client v602 connected to jazz_server_old (v602) and jazz_server_new(v606). All on same network and use same Active Dir
I duplicated stream from  jts_old and am trying to create a rep_workspace with "Use another repository" option. i.e. duplicate stream and its components are on "jts_old" and instructions in your link say I want repo workspace to be on "jts_new".
I get Error invoking remote service at https://jts_old:9443/ccm/
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException : Received fatal alert: handshake failure

Any help would be gratefully received.

Peter Turvey commented Nov 15 '18, 11:54 a.m.

I don't know if this is relevant to my problem described above but when I tried to use Eclipse client v606 (as opposed to v602) I also got a handshake failure when I was trying to connect to the v602 server "jts_old".

But once I had switched to using the older v602 client I was able to connect to both "jts_old"(v602) and "jts_new"(v606).
That's why I was a bit disappointed about the handshake failure when I was trying to create the repository workspace.

David Lafreniere commented Nov 15 '18, 12:22 p.m.

Yeah, you will always need to make sure that the RTC client you are using is older than the oldest sever in this scenario. The n-1 compatibility rule means that the RTC client can be at an older version than the server, but not the other way around.

Peter Turvey commented Nov 16 '18, 5:35 a.m.

Thanks David.
I still need help with my new problem so I'll post a fresh question on the forum

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.