It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Space used by baseline

Kevin Lou (312125) | asked Dec 06 '13, 11:47 a.m.
edited Dec 09 '13, 5:42 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k480103)
 I understand that that the baseline is considered to be small and doesn't use too much space in the database. However, what if I have a component which has large number of files (for example, 100K+ files). Since the baseline needs to keep the version information for each file, how much space do you think it needs for each baseline? 
I am seeing dramatic DB space increase (50~100M per day) in our RTC database. We have the continuous build setups for the project and there will be 20+ baselines created every day. 

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Dec 09 '13, 5:41 a.m.

Hi Kevin,
Not directly answering your question, but it is always good to confirm that the issue is caused by baselines exactly. Could you check what tables are using the most space in your database? You can check it according to following jazz.net answer: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/111357/how-to-check-which-tables-are-using-the-most-space
Please also try running the tool next day to check what tables increased its size the most.

Kevin Lou commented Dec 09 '13, 10:57 a.m. | edited Dec 09 '13, 11:52 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof..

For SCM tables, the size being displayed is always 0.
Also, If I added up all the sizes from this method (the last column), the total number is about 700MB; However our CCM tablespace is about 45GB big. 
Component  Item Type  Item Count  State Count   Content Size (K)

</pre>
</div>
<div>
    <pre style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: normal; white-space: pre-wrap; word-wrap: break-word;">

scm Baseline 49620 49634 0 BaselineSet 2082 2082 0 ...

</pre>
</div>

Accepted answer

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k23677) | answered Dec 09 '13, 11:23 a.m.
Hi Kevin,

Baseline will not consume the space ( considerably negligible ).

I think the above information update from krzysztof is very clear.

Regards,
Arun.
Kevin Lou selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Dec 09 '13, 11:59 a.m.

Hi Kevin,
Totally agree with Arun. If you want to further investigate it, please open new forum topic and attach entire report to see what are the objects using the most space. We will try to help you.

Kevin Lou commented Dec 09 '13, 12:02 p.m. | edited Dec 09 '13, 12:24 p.m.

Okay.. I've opened a separate topic for my question (https://jazz.net/forum/questions/135880/how-to-find-out-the-tablespace-usage-in-rtc). Thanks Krzystof and Arun for your help and explanations.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.