It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Static Artifacts Version in Collection

Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | asked Sep 25 '13, 5:29 p.m.
 When looking at the help for my RRC 4.0.2 I see this:
  • Capture the approved version of a set of requirements. For example, you can capture a set of artifacts that have been approved in a formal review. You can then work on changes to the requirements while the collection continues to show only the approved versions.
    (Managing and composing requirements >> Working in the web client >> Defining requirements >> Collections)
Attempting to actually do this, it didn't work.
  1. I created a Formal Review for an Artifact.
  2. Approved the Review.
  3. Created a Collection from it.
  4. Changed the Requirement.
  5. Looked in the Collection and it held the CHANGED version (not the approved version).
Has anyone been able to make this work? If so, how?
I recall seeing other topics about the same issue on this forum which confirm my experience (and further contradict what's in the help page) but couldn't find them.

2 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Sep 26 '13, 10:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 26 '13, 10:17 p.m.
There may be other ways, but in RRC V4.0.4, I know of only 2 ways to see specific artifacts versions, one is to view it via the review editor where the artifact version is recorded as part of the formal review and the other is to create a project baseline with a time stamp of when the review was approved and the collection created, and open that collection via the project baseline history editor.

Now a baseline can be created at any time, with any time stamp in the past, just set the time to be same as when the collection for the approved review was created.

Comments
Taly Hotimsky commented Sep 26 '13, 10:27 p.m.

Hi Robin.

Thanks for the response. Those are the ways I know too, plus the Artifact's History obviously.
So I guess the help content I posted is incorrect.

Are you aware of a WI already opened (and, hopefully, focused at) to allow BAs to choose whether a Collection should hold static or live versions of artifacts? 

Robin Bater commented Sep 26 '13, 10:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Not directly, but If you look on the RM Backlog you will see a lot of plan items for implementing requirements change management, for example

53773: VVC: Requirements Versions and Configurations Utilizing VVC [CLM]

"The ability to support requirements under parallel streams of development. To be able to understand requirements that are used in multiple versions and have the ability to deviate and branch to form a new version. It would also support the ability to understand the differences between versions in all parallel streams."

A BA would choose a particular stream (release, milestone) to view requirements.

permanent link
Bruce Korn (1912) | answered Sep 27 '13, 9:56 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hey Taly..thanks for pointing out that flaw in the V402 documentation. We have since identified that error and fixed it in in the V403 and subsequent docs.

My understanding of V402 (and I could be dead wrong about this) was that collections enabled you to capture
artifacts at their latest or "live" revision level or at the revision level that was captured in a project snapshot.
(I thought the snapshot feature was built into the collections window). But again, I am just going from my (flawed) memory about V402.

What I do know for sure was that that feature was removed from the product for various reason and that collection artifacts are now always live artifacts.

At any rate, thanks again for pointing out the doc issue and I hope the workarounds that Robin Bater provided were helpful!

Bruce Korn

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.