It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What could be inferred from this snippet of heap dump analysis?

Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | asked Aug 29 '13, 1:35 p.m.
RTC 4.0.3 crashed with java.lang.OutOfMemoryException.  Analyzed heap dump using Heap Analyzer.  It reports this:

2,099,867,416 bytes (58.6 %) of Java heap is used by 488 instances of com/ibm/team/workitem/common/internal/rcp/dto/impl/SaveResultDTOCustomImpl
Contains 4 instances of the following leak suspects:
- com/ibm/team/process/internal/common/advice/impl/OperationReportImpl holding 15,036,192 bytes at 0x7000000e778e590
- com/ibm/team/process/internal/common/advice/impl/OperationReportImpl holding 14,383,672 bytes at 0x700000071db5c88
- com/ibm/team/process/internal/common/advice/impl/OperationReportImpl holding 14,383,672 bytes at 0x7000000b7a19c58
- com/ibm/team/process/internal/common/advice/impl/OperationReportImpl holding 14,600,952 bytes at 0x7000000b44cd9c8
I also see mentions of
com/ibm/team/process/internal/common/model/settings/OperationBehaviorConfiguration  objects a few nodes beneath the top leak suspect.  So this leads me to believe that work item save somehow began to clog the pipes.

Earlier this week configuration for SPoRT (won't mean much except to IBMr's) was added to a project.  SPoRT config adds a number of items on Save Work Item behavior  

Suggestions?

One answer

permanent link
Matt Lennon (61225) | answered Sep 03 '13, 9:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kevin.

I wouldn't read too much into the specifics of the Heap Analyzer results. While it's possible that your server actually has a memory leak, it's more likely that it just ran out of Java heap due to the increased demands of this "SPoRT" feature, or just a heavier workload in general.

It looks like your server is running with 4 GB of Java heap - is that right? Many customers find they need to bump that up to 6 or 8 GB or more as the number of users & projects increases. Try that and see if it takes care of the out-of-memory exceptions. See these documents for more info:

-Matt

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.