It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rational Insight licensing explanation - when do you need a license?

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | asked Aug 14 '13, 9:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

I am trying to find a suitable reference to explain how Rational Insight licensing works for the latest releases (v1.1.1.2).

I understand there are authorised and floating user licenses, and that no Insight server license is required.  I believe that a user consumes a license when they log in to the Reporting server.

I am trying to work out how many user licenses I need - this would include for the following roles:

1) A user who is administering the Insight system
2) A user who wants to create or modify a report to be generated by Insght
3) Someone who generates a report

I am sure there may be other roles I have missed.

thanks

anthony

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ali Manji (59147) | answered Aug 14 '13, 9:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Anthony,

An Insight license is consumed in whatever activity the user is required to log in to the Insight Report Server.

This includes the scenarios above, but could also include:

- logging via Data Manager (UI or command line tools) to publish or run an ETL job
- run reports
- Open/edit project with Framework Manager.

Regards,
Ali
Anthony Kesterton selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Francesco Chiossi commented Aug 14 '13, 9:51 a.m.

Does running Insight reports from a CLM application, directly or embedded in a dashboard, require a license as well?

Anthony Kesterton commented Aug 14 '13, 10:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Ali

Ana Lopez-Mancisidor commented Mar 26 '15, 10:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello, regarding Francesco's question. Do I need an Insight license to run a CLM report templates created with Rational Insight and embedded into CLM Dashboard?

Or do I need an Insight License just when running a report from Insight Report Server (i.e, I am logged into Insight server and running a report from Report Studio?)

Many thanks in advance, Ana

sam detweiler commented Mar 26 '15, 12:31 p.m.

My understanding of old, if you use the Insight UI directly, you consume a license.
If you use the CLM report gadgets, in a CLM dashboard, then no license is consumed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.