It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Oracle ddl for Insight Installation

Adrian Daniels (6312120) | asked Apr 03 '14, 2:58 p.m.
Hi,
A customer that I am working with is about to set up Insight 1.1.1.3 on a Linux system.
They have a very strict access to servers which can make set up problematic, particularly when it requires working with their Oracle DBA guys.

Their Oracle DBA's have to understand what the ddl's are going to configure on the Oracle database.
The documentation here:
Talks about ddl creation scripts, but we cannot find them on either mine or their installation.

I am starting to think that they are generated and executed on the fly by the Installation Server - is that true ?

Is there a way to get  dump of these scripts ?

I have encouraged them to not attempt to run these scripts manually should they obtain them, but to allow the setup on the installation server to create the databases.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Adrian

2 answers

permanent link
Matthieu Leroux (6571614) | answered Apr 03 '14, 3:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Adrian, 

I you are planning to use Insight with CLM, you could consider taking a look at those scripts:
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/r_repotools_gen_dw_ddlScripts.html
this is to create the CLM data warehouse that can then be upgrade to an Insight warehouse:
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc/topics/c_upgrade_ri.html

I hope this helps
Matthieu

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Apr 04 '14, 12:05 p.m.
Hello Adrian,

in addition to the method mentioned by Matthieu you can also try this:
  • when you run the Insight Setup application you get to the step called "Configure Data Warehouse" and fill in all the details.
  • After the validation you have the options "Run Now" or "Save".
  • If you select Save you will get a zip file downloaded in the browser(check for popup blocker or security settings that might prevent this).
  • The zip will contain the scripts mentioned in the info center page you mentioned.
  • Note: If you want to get the option to save the scripts you need to point to a database that doesn't contain a data warehouse already.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Comments
sam detweiler commented Apr 04 '14, 12:12 p.m.

the problem is our systems don't support any GUI, so we have to do all this from the commandline, which isn't documented or tested well. 

and then the DBA's want to know exactly what is going on, AND we have ALL kinds of fun when the systems are transitioned to production, cause the admin userid used to create the tables is not allowed on production machines.. 

and, thanks for your participation in marking the spam. 

Francesco Chiossi commented Apr 07 '14, 5:54 a.m.

Hello Sam,

this is a common scenario for installations that share an enterprise database server, especially in organizations with strict security policy.

In that case an approach that I've seen applied is to generate the data warehouse creation scripts, have the DBA review them (so that he can know exactly what they are going to do) and then manually run them under his privileged account.

After that a user with limited permissions can be created just to run the ETL, as described in the article:

More Control over the Oracle Data Warehouse Setup
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/MoreControlOverTheOracleDataWarehouseSetup

P.S. You are the one to be thanked for your tireless fight against spammers.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

sam detweiler commented Apr 07 '14, 6:20 a.m.

>generate the data warehouse creation scripts

that step appears to be the hardest. you sort of have to install to gen the scripts.

Francesco Chiossi commented Apr 07 '14, 6:31 a.m. | edited Apr 07 '14, 6:32 a.m.

Correct, some of the scripts parameters are populated with the data entered in the Insight setup, so it requires a running setup application.
Same for those created by repotools, requiring a JTS installation and a configured teamserver.properties for the parameters.

sam detweiler commented Apr 07 '14, 6:34 a.m.

thanks.. none of our server infrastructure provides for graphical terminal access..

so 'installation' is quite a challenge

Adrian Daniels commented Apr 14 '14, 3:18 a.m.

Thanks for the answers guys.

The graphical piece should work here because it is to a web browser so no X window system required.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.