It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permissions scope for Reports

Bill Higgins (4562523) | asked Jun 20 '13, 8:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I configured my project area & team area hierarchy so that very few people have permissions at the project area level but within team areas, team members have full control over their artifacts.

However, a colleague pinged me and told me he wasn't able to create a report for the "My Reports" folder. I said "Just make sure it's scoped to your team area" but he said there was no such option.

I looked at the web UI for creating a team report and indeed, you create the report first and then start scoping it to team areas.

I looked in the doc but it wasn't clear to me at what scope a user must have the various Reports-related permissions (Deploy Report, etc.) As a short-term, brute-force approach I created a new project area role "Reports Admin", gave it full permissions for all reports and assigned it to the colleague. This solved the problem but strikes me as inelegant, since RTC is usually good about delegating permissions to the lowest-possible level (i.e. the team using the artifacts).

Could someone explain a bit about how Reports permissions vis-à-vis project/team area scope and also if you can think of a better solution than mine to this particular problem?

One answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jun 20 '13, 9:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Bill,

Reports inherit the scope (process area) of their parent folder. But the two special folders My Reports and Shared Reports are not real folders so they do not have a scope. Reports created under those two folders will inherit the scope of their corresponding Report Resource (template). To avoid this, you can always create a subfolders under My Reports and you will be able to assign those to process areas.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.