It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permission to change the timeline of a Team Area

Marie Michelin (14317) | asked Oct 05 '16, 5:47 a.m.
edited Oct 05 '16, 5:48 a.m.
We are using RTC 5.0.2.
We would like that the Team Leaders are able to modify the timeline associated with their own Team Area.

It seems that for this, they need to have permission to modify the Project Area properties!
But I don't want them to be able to modify the name or description of the Project Area.

Is there another way to do ? (Like plugin or something else ?)

Thanks for your help,

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 05 '16, 9:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 05 '16, 9:17 a.m.
The problem here is that the owner of the timeline is the project area and not the team area. Multiple team areas can share the same timeline. So, if modifying timelines requires permission on project area level, you can only provide the team leads with this permission, or you have to have a special role that is allowed to do this for the team leads.

You could create some automation tool that runs with a different user context and would allow the team leads to modify timelines that way.

Comments
Marie Michelin commented Oct 05 '16, 10:14 a.m. | edited Oct 05 '16, 1:52 p.m.

Thanks for your help, Ralph.

I thought it was a team area property not a timeline property.
I already have a 2nd role for the team leaders, to be declared at the project area level, to be able to modify the iterations, the categories and the releases. So I could modify this role but I don't want to allow them to modify the project area name.

Your solution won't be allowed by Security team because we'll need to use a generic account that is allowed to modify the project area properties but in the project area history we won't be able to know which user made the change.

I hoped that we could do something in the operation behavior. But there seem to be no event that corresponds to the project area properties changes.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 05 '16, 1:53 p.m. | edited Oct 05 '16, 1:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Operation behavior can only limit your options further and not override permissions. Timelines are defined at project area level and Team Areas can share them. thus they are not on Team Area Level.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.