It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can DM and CLM 5.0 coexist on the same hardware box?

Donaji Sencion (823) | asked Jul 28 '14, 11:54 a.m.
Hello
We have worked with Design Manager (RSADM) version 4.x, and found issues having DM and RRC working on the same server due to the graphical environment, per Rational Support's advice we migrated DM to another box and now it has been working fine.
We want to set up a new environment with version 5.0 and we want to know if DM would have the same issues working on the same box with CLM.
Has anybody around worked on CLM 5.0 with DM in the same box?
Any issues found with this version?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Jul 28 '14, 5:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Donaji,

The same restriction applies to DM 5.0 and RDNG 5.0 (formerly known as RRC) on the same box.  It is actually only the "converter" component of RDNG that cannot co-exist with DM.  So if you are not using graphical artifacts (sketch/part/diagram), or have delegated the converter component to another machine, you can run RDNG and DM on the same box.  Otherwise, you need to delegate the converter component as the underlying technology of DM and the converter has not changed in 5.0.  Hope it helps,
Donaji Sencion selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Donaji Sencion commented Jul 29 '14, 9:51 a.m.

Hi Benjamin
Thanks a lot for the quick response, this helps a lot.

Shane Hoey commented Jul 29 '14, 11:42 a.m.

Hi Benjamin,
Your answer helps. I think this issue should be addressed ASAP (is there a Work Item we can maybe comment on). DM is marketed as an integral part of CLM, however it can't co-exist with RDNG (also a integral part of CLM) without a specialized install. Requirements stakeholders will find it easier to 'draw' in RDNG than in RSA....so expecting the to do their drawing in RSA and then uploading to DM may not be an easy ask....

Benjamin Silverman commented Jul 29 '14, 3:46 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do not see a work item open to resolve the conflict.  The work item where the limitation was documented is Update installation documentation with restrictions regarding Design Manager and RRC on Linux (38860) (note, it says Linux in the title but last I knew it applied to Windows as well).  I would suggest logging a WI if it is critical for you to have these applications running on the same servers.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.