It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I hide creation options when the permission has been removed?

William Hunsicker (40610) | asked Apr 04 '13, 8:10 a.m.
 We have several work item types which are imported via an automated process from another tool we are phasing out.  In RTC when a user goes to create a work item, these options still show up, even though we have removed the permissions for the user to create them.

The problem isn't really that they show, but that they are select-able by the user.  The user can select the work item type to create, and fill out everything on the form and does not get told they do not have permissions to create this workitem type until they click the save button.

Several solutions come to mind, but I cannot seem to find the configuration options for any of them.  the first one would be an option that would remove the work item types from the available list if the user does not have permissions for creating that type.  

If we can not remove those types from the options, then I would like to add information to the error message they get when they click save to point them to the proper place to go to create these types (i.e. the error message currently reads something like "Permission error:  you do not have the permissions to create "XXXXXX" work item."  I would like to modify that so that it includes something like "To generate an XXXX work item, please click HERE" and have here be a URL for the proper system.  Even if I cant get the URL, I would still like to customize the error message to help them better.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

Bill

Accepted answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Apr 05 '13, 3:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 While investigating another issue, the trick could be to modify the type's presentation to:
1 - make most attributes read-only or hidden on creation
2 - add static text presentation - visible on creation only - hidden for all other states

Hope it helps.
Eric.
William Hunsicker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jared Burns commented Apr 05 '13, 1:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I like the idea of adding some static text to the top of the retired workitem types.

Another thing you can do is to provide a custom error message to show for the Work Item Save operation when permission is denied. The error message would be shown for any permission problem saving workitems (not just these particular workitem types), but it still might be useful. Something like, "If you're trying to create a Defect or Enhancement workitem, note that these types are retired. Use Bug or RFE instead."

If that would be useful to you, the option to add a custom explanation is available when you select the "Save Work Item" element in the permission configuration UI.

One other answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Apr 04 '13, 10:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Bill,
I don't think that you can hide a specific work item type for now.

However, you may want to make all attributes presentation type as "read-only" so that end use can not enter any value.
You may also want to define a default value provider for summary and/or description,
which will state your explanation like:
" you may not create work item of type...
To generate an XXXX work item, please click HERE" 

Let me know if this would help.

Thanks.
Eric. 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 04 '13, 10:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Eric, the trouble with the Default Value Provider will be that it is across all work item types that have this attribute. So any work item that uses this attribute will be affected.

A better approach would be a new and special attribute with a default value provider that is added to the types not in usage anymore.

Eric Jodet commented Apr 04 '13, 10:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

agree Ralph :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.