It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RAF/Build forge

Ved Prakash (133) | asked Mar 06 '13, 4:39 p.m.

We recently installed and started using Rational automation framework and want to use tha audit trail and detecting configuration drifts capabilities of Rational Automation framework/build forge. I searched on the internet but could not find any documentation to enable this.

Does any one has experience on this? Is there any documentation (not the sales documentation) where it provides details as to how actually implement.

Thanks,

Ved

2 answers

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered Apr 04 '13, 2:31 p.m.

Hello,

Yes there is. Rational Automation Framework sits on top of IBM Rational Build Forge. It can utilize some of Build Forges functionality such as scheduling. The information is located the Build Forge info center at the link I provided below.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/bldforge/v7r1m2/topic/com.ibm.rational.buildforge.doc/topics/jobs_schedule__top.html

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks!

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered Apr 04 '13, 8:13 a.m.

The function you are looking for is knowon as "compare mode". What you will typically do is run an action in compare mode. These actions can be scheduled to run during times of low load. In compare mode, it will change the configuration in anyway. It just makes note of the differences between them. RAF will log the differences between the environments and notify you. You can use email templates for notifications.

I recommend running these fairly often. A small change is much easier and less time consuming then several changes over some period of time. When you notice "configuraiton drift" you basically have two options.

1. Update the configuration definition with the value from the live server by running the same action in import mode. For more information, see Import mode overview.

2. Reapply the configuration definition to the live server by running the same action in execute mode. See Execute mode overview

If you would like to see some examples of compare mode. Compare mode examples.

I hope this helps you and or others with the same question.

Thanks!

Comments
Ved Prakash commented Apr 04 '13, 2:06 p.m.

Thanks Ryan for your response.

Is there any documentation on how to schedule the compare and generate notifications?

Thanks,

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.