It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Process template inheritance and plan mode customization

Morten Madsen (3053250) | asked Dec 28 '12, 5:08 a.m.
edited Dec 28 '12, 5:09 a.m.
Hi, my question is concerning using a "Master Project" for enabling inheritance of a process template.

To make this work properly, you need to create a "Child Project" which defines no or little process xml itself. All xml defined in the child template will overwrite the master template, unless the master template has "Final" checked in the relevant process section.

The basic child xml will look like this:

<process-specification xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.process">
    <project-configuration>
    </project-configuration>
</process-specification>

You can then go to the process editor, under project configuration -> planning -> plan modes and choose to "customize" this section. This will import this section of xml from the master template. You will now get an error, because all quotes will be printed literally in the xml instead of the html version "&quot;". This will break your xml in the child project.

The errornous xml will look like this:

<color enabled="true" expression="state:"In progress"" label="New Label" priority="1" value="#8dc63f">

This is definitely an error.

Can anybody verify?

Comments
Parker Dunton commented Jan 04 '13, 12:53 p.m. | edited Jan 04 '13, 12:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

What version of RTC are you using? Did you mean Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Planning > Plan Types? (that's the closest thing I see in the latest version, and I don't see any configuration involving 'color'). Also I don't understand the problem to begin with, the quotations should be 'printed literally' in the XML. The snippet you provided looks like proper XML to me except for the extra "" after 'progress'.

Morten Madsen commented Jan 07 '13, 8:03 a.m. | edited Jan 07 '13, 8:04 a.m.

Ah, sorry for not mentioning. I've tested this with RTC v3.0.1 and here I found the error. This has apparently been fixed in RTC 4.0.

The error in the xml is that we should have:
expression="state:'In progress'"  (or expression="state:&quot;In progress&quot;") but have
expression="state:" In="" progress""=""

If you add the following expression to your "colorize" section:
[state:"In progress"]

in your master template, and then click "customize section" in the "plan mode" (now "plan view" from v4.0) the xml from the master is copied to the child. The problem is that the &quot; is printed literally in the copy, so that the child xml will become invalid.

Sorry if this explanation is a little fuzzy. I will explain again if you wish!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jan 08 '13, 5:42 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, Morten.

If this is fixed in 4.x (as you indicate) and you must have a fix for 3.x, you'll need to go through standard support channels to get that. A normal defect would be closed as "Fixed upstream".
Morten Madsen selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Morten Madsen commented Jan 09 '13, 2:35 a.m.

I agree, thx.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.