It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to split the process source?

Fabian Ehls (1157) | asked Jul 05 '12, 3:27 a.m.
edited Jul 05 '12, 4:50 a.m.
Hello, 
We are currently developing a custom process in RTC for our needs. One thing that would be important for us is the ability to manage the process source in different files instead of one big xml. Does a mechanism exist where we can have one "master" file and import other xml files to it? This would be very helpful for us and i think this is generally a feature teams want to have that make bigger customizations on the project source.

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 05 '12, 8:48 a.m.
I haven't seen anything like that..

note that the way customizations are done,  I'm not sure include is a good approach either.

for example, to add an Enum, and make this a required field means there are changes to

Enum
attributes
presentation
and
the save workitem preconditions configuration

I've never seen a mechanism that can merge changes like this in XML from separated includes.
Also seems that 2 edits and saves in the eclipse editor produce different results each time.

we are also having a heck of a time.. we want to have a third config choice

final/not final/inherit.

inherit would not allow modify of the incoming source project ('use the process area from another project') (like final) but allow local per project defined extensions (as discussed above)..  and then somehow merge them together.
(edit as one, diff to get delta & save delta, merge delta with master for next edit, repeat save process..  use merged as runtime config).

we use a centrally controlled process model, but project teams need additional data, which doesn't affect the 'process' they need to follow.

permanent link
Fabian Ehls (1157) | answered Jul 18 '12, 5:40 a.m.
edited Jul 20 '12, 4:13 a.m.
 We solved it by using a XSL Transformation script to maintain a stable order in the process source. Use this script to sort and format the process source before you check in and merging becomes a lot easier.
With this script and a little coordination we are able to change the process source with 4 people parallel.

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" />

<!-- Sort all Elements after their id -->
<xsl:template match="@* | node()">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()">
<xsl:sort select="@id" />
<xsl:sort select="@category" />
</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
<!-- Next two templates clean up formatting after sorting -->
<xsl:template match="text()[not(string-length(normalize-space()))]" />
<xsl:template match="text()[string-length(normalize-space()) > 0]">
<xsl:value-of select="translate(.,'&#xA;&#xD;', '  ')" />
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Comments
Joe Silsby commented Jul 19 '12, 12:53 p.m.

I don't think that came out quite right. The xsl isn't valid. Did it not paste correctly?

Fabian Ehls commented Jul 20 '12, 4:31 a.m.

Sadly the forum editor here makes some replaces so that i can render the xsl invalid. I posted the source now on pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/dHRmH21H

Joe Silsby commented Jul 20 '12, 11:58 a.m.

Thank you! That helped a lot.

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Jul 19 '12, 2:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.