It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to import/export custom workflows between project areas

scott herzinger (1367) | asked Dec 03 '13, 11:45 a.m.
Are any best practices documented for editing the XML source code for RTC process configuration? Here's my use case:

I have created a custom workflow, which includes a few new states, actions, attributes, and editor presentations to a process configuration based on the Scrum process template. I would like to add this workflow to another project area. I implemented the workflow using the various visual, item-specific process configuration editors (Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Work Items > {Types and Attributes, Workflows, Editor Presentations, etc}.

I've done the above twice: once as I developed the workflow initially, then a second time to re-implement in a second project. I would now like to add the workflow to yet another project.

Is there a way to do this more quickly, with less chance of error, than by re-implementing yet another time, using the individual visual editors? I'm looking for something akin to exporting a process template, but instead of dealing with an entire, monolithic process configuration, I want to export and import just the changes related to my custom workflow.

I've looked at the XML source in various ways, but I don't see an obvious way to pull the workflow from the source project and add it to the target project. The custom workflow is implemented in multiple <configuration-data> elements, some of which also contain configuration data for items that are unrelated to my workflow.

Has anyone tried to do something similar? How? With what results?

Thanks,
Scott

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k479103) | answered Dec 03 '13, 12:17 p.m.
Hi Scott,
You do not need to copy the data across the projects. You can use process sharing feature: https://jazz.net/library/article/1005
Let us know if it helps.
scott herzinger selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
scott herzinger commented Dec 03 '13, 12:32 p.m.

Thanks Krzysztof. I am familiar with process sharing (and we use it across several projects), but in this case, we do not want to share everything in the configuration of the source project. For example, we have some projects that use Scrum and some that don't, and we would like to have this particular workflow in both kinds of projects.

Thanks,
Scott

sam detweiler commented Dec 04 '13, 9:21 a.m.

I use XMLDIFF/PATCH to move subsets if xml docs around. Works on the process config too 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.